Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Robert S. Thau" <rs...@ai.mit.edu> on 1995/03/31 16:58:04 UTC

Caching of negotiated docs --- New patch for_Apache_0.3 (!)

I had a long argument in private email with Roy about caching of
negotiated documents, the upshot of which was that he was willing to
see it suppressed, provided that that non-programmers with binary
distributions to turn the suppression off.  In the meantime I had it
turned off for everybody, via #ifdeffing out the (tested) code.

I figured I had next weekend to deal with this, but Brian's talking
about deploying the thing now...

So, there's a new patch for_Apache_0.3 on hyperreal,
B45.cache_negotiated_docs.txt which takes the cache suppression out of
#ifdefs, but allows it to be turned off anyway via a CacheNegotiatedD
directive in httpd.conf.  I've tested the directive, and it works;
I've also tested content negotiation fairly extensively with the
relevant code #ifdeffed in, and it works, so I don't think it should
cause any problems.

I hope this is in time to make the cut for 0.4 (I sure am cutting it
close!) --- I vote +1, and it will take two others.

rst