Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru> on 2003/11/13 08:58:33 UTC

Last argument about default config place

Hello users,

  You use ``--prefix'' to determine, where binaries & documentation
  will be installed. But default config place is hard-coded and don't
  affected by ``--prefix''.

  Why you don't install binaries ALWAYS to /usr/bin or even /bin?
  And why software, configured with some ``--prefix'' try to access any
  files OUTSIDE this prefix, an it could be changed only with source
  hack?

--
Best regards,
 Lev                          mailto:lev@serebryakov.spb.ru

Re: Last argument about default config place

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru> writes:

> Hello users,
>
>   You use ``--prefix'' to determine, where binaries & documentation
>   will be installed. But default config place is hard-coded and don't
>   affected by ``--prefix''.
>
>   Why you don't install binaries ALWAYS to /usr/bin or even /bin?
>   And why software, configured with some ``--prefix'' try to access any
>   files OUTSIDE this prefix, an it could be changed only with source
>   hack?

My, this is really starting to sound ... familiar.  Here's a plan --
read HACKING, write the code, and submit a patch.  Show us how it's
all done.

Re: Last argument about default config place

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru> writes:
>   You use ``--prefix'' to determine, where binaries & documentation
>   will be installed. But default config place is hard-coded and don't
>   affected by ``--prefix''.
>
>   Why you don't install binaries ALWAYS to /usr/bin or even /bin?
>   And why software, configured with some ``--prefix'' try to access any
>   files OUTSIDE this prefix, an it could be changed only with source
>   hack?

Lev, I think it's just a matter of priorities.  Having configurable
config locations might be a nice feature, but it's not important
enough to any developers to implement (or even debate) before 1.0.
That's all.  This isn't necessarily disagreement, just different
priorities...

-Karl