Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca> on 2007/03/29 16:01:11 UTC

Proxied Repositories

Hello All,
I am trying to use archiva on our company network to "proxy" the central
repos...my understanding is that this means that if a developer runs
Maven and requests an artifact from the archiva repository, that if
archiva does not already have it in its own repository, it will get it
from the global repo (or mirror) and put it in its repo, and give it to
the local maven request.  That way, the next developer that comes along
does not have to go out to the net to get it.  Is this correct?

If this is the expected behaviour, it does not seem to work for me.  Any
ideas?  Below is my archiva.xml.

Thanks in advance,
Ben <ci...@nanometrics.ca>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><configuration>
  <repositories>
    <repository>

<directory>/disk1/maestro-1.1/project-server/data/project-server/repository</directory>
      <includeSnapshots>true</includeSnapshots>
      <id>maestro</id>
      <name>Central Managed Repository</name>
    </repository>
  </repositories>
  <proxiedRepositories>
    <proxiedRepository>
      <url>http://repo.mergere.com/maven2</url>
      <managedRepository>maestro</managedRepository>
      <snapshotsPolicy>hourly</snapshotsPolicy>
      <releasesPolicy>hourly</releasesPolicy>
      <useNetworkProxy>true</useNetworkProxy>
      <id>mergere</id>
      <name>Mergere Repository Mirror</name>
    </proxiedRepository>
    <proxiedRepository>
      <url>http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2</url>
      <managedRepository>maestro</managedRepository>
      <snapshotsPolicy>daily</snapshotsPolicy>
      <useNetworkProxy>true</useNetworkProxy>
      <id>Ibiblio</id>
      <name>Ibiblio</name>
    </proxiedRepository>
  </proxiedRepositories>
  <localRepository>/root/.m2/repository</localRepository>

<indexPath>/disk1/maestro-1.1/project-server/data/project-server/index</indexPath>
  <proxy>
      <host>primrose</host>
      <port>8080</port>
  </proxy>
</configuration>

Re: Proxied Repositories

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.
First of all, thank you sooo much for all your help.

But no, that doesn't work.  I get a 404:

Resource in error: http://penguin.nanometrics.ca:8081/repository/maestro

Exception details:

it.could.webdav.DAVException: Not found
	at it.could.webdav.methods.HEAD.process(HEAD.java:52)
	at it.could.webdav.methods.GET.process(GET.java:58)
	at it.could.webdav.DAVProcessor.process(DAVProcessor.java:79)
	at it.could.webdav.DAVServlet.service(DAVServlet.java:198)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:428)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.dispatch(ServletHandler.java:666)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:568)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1530)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1482)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(HttpConnection.java:816)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext(HttpConnection.java:982)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:833)
	at org.mortbay.http.SocketListener.handleConnection(SocketListener.java:244)
	at org.mortbay.util.ThreadedServer.handle(ThreadedServer.java:357)
	at org.mortbay.util.ThreadPool$PoolThread.run(ThreadPool.java:534)

  I think maestro is taking away the need for that.

-Ben

Re: Proxied Repositories

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.
Ok.  I took that out, but that doesn't help either.

1) Why does the warning say http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 when really it
tried http://penguin...
2)  Has anyone done this with maestro before?  I rather avoid it, but
I'm tempted to install archiva standalone to try it their...

Downloading:
http://penguin.nanometrics.ca:8081/repository/org/apache/ant/ant-apache-oro/1.7.0/ant-apache-oro-1.7.0.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository central
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
Downloading:
http://penguin.nanometrics.ca:8081/repository/org/apache/ant/ant-apache-oro/1.7.0/ant-apache-oro-1.7.0.jar
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository central
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) org.apache.ant:ant-apache-oro:jar:1.7.0

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.ant
-DartifactId=ant-apache-oro \
          -Dversion=1.7.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

  Path to dependency:
        1) org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:maven-plugin:1.1
        2) org.apache.ant:ant-apache-oro:jar:1.7.0

----------
1 required artifact is missing.

for artifact:
  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:maven-plugin:1.1

from the specified remote repositories:
  snapshots (http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2)

Re: Proxied Repositories

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Re: Proxied Repositories

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Proxied Repositories

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.
Snippets of my settings.xml:

Re: Proxied Repositories

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Proxied Repositories

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.

Re: Proxied Repositories

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.
Thanks, Nico but that didn't work.  But I have figured out the
problem...if this message/problem is found in the archives later, the
solution was:

I had <mirrors> defined in my mvn settings.xml.  Take those out and just
use <repositories> and <pluginRepositories>.

-Ben

Re: Proxied Repositories

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.