Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sebastián Treu <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/28 14:51:58 UTC

password shown in asterisks (*)

Hi,

This may be a dumb question, but today I realized that when doing a 'svn
export' my typed password is shown in asterisk:

Password for 'user': ******************

This behaviour is new to me. Typed password invoking 'svn export' was
supposed to not output any character.

I was wondering if this have to do with svn or another thing like PAM
modules or so... I was worried on having a corrupted svn binary after some
update.

Cheers,
--
If you want freedom, compile the source.

Sebastián Treu
http://labombiya.com.ar

Re: password shown in asterisks (*)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 28.10.2015 19:42, Sebastián Treu wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:51:58AM -0300, Sebastián Treu wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This may be a dumb question, but today I realized that when doing a 'svn
>>> export' my typed password is shown in asterisk:
>>>
>>> Password for 'user': ******************
>>>
>>> This behaviour is new to me. Typed password invoking 'svn export' was
>>> supposed to not output any character.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if this have to do with svn or another thing like PAM
>>> modules or so... I was worried on having a corrupted svn binary after
>> some
>>> update.
>> I think this behaviour was introduced when issue #4280 ("prompt the
>> controlling
>> terminal, rather than stdin") was fixed:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4280
>>
>> This change was made in SVN 1.8.0.
>
>> Did you recently upgrade to SVN 1.8 or 1.9 from SVN 1.7?
>>
> Hey Stefan,
>
> Yes, version is 1.8. I googled before reaching the mailing list... I think
> I didn't search good enough for this topic.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out.

It's not "new" as such, but 1.8 behaves the same way on all platforms;
previously, some platforms would show asterisks whilst others would not.

The downside is that someone looking over your shoulder could guess the
length of your password. If that turns out to be an issue, we can easily
hide the echo.

-- Brane

Re: password shown in asterisks (*)

Posted by Sebastián Treu <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:51:58AM -0300, Sebastián Treu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This may be a dumb question, but today I realized that when doing a 'svn
> > export' my typed password is shown in asterisk:
> >
> > Password for 'user': ******************
> >
> > This behaviour is new to me. Typed password invoking 'svn export' was
> > supposed to not output any character.
> >
> > I was wondering if this have to do with svn or another thing like PAM
> > modules or so... I was worried on having a corrupted svn binary after
> some
> > update.
>
> I think this behaviour was introduced when issue #4280 ("prompt the
> controlling
> terminal, rather than stdin") was fixed:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4280
>
> This change was made in SVN 1.8.0.

> Did you recently upgrade to SVN 1.8 or 1.9 from SVN 1.7?

Hey Stefan,

Yes, version is 1.8. I googled before reaching the mailing list... I think
I didn't search good enough for this topic.

Thanks for pointing that out.

> > Cheers,
> > --
> > If you want freedom, compile the source.
>
> And if you want knowledge, read it. ;)

I absolutely agree! I will reinforce the condition adding "and if you have
time" :D

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.