Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Chris Shiflett <sh...@php.net> on 2005/03/25 19:45:42 UTC

Re: [ADVOCACY] Report: P-Languages Better For Enterprise

Eric J. Hansen wrote:
> People sometimes post questions here about how to propose/justify LAMP
> and MP projects to their customers or management. Along those lines, here's
> a good article to end the week....  it's not MP-specific, but still good
> for the cause ;)
>
> http://internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3492771

I've seen the report that this article references. While it's major
point is that scripting languages are good, it reinforces some common
misconceptions:

1. Perl is too hard to maintain.
2. PHP is too hard to secure.

The first draft that I read was at least that harsh, if not worse. These
sentiments were toned down to something along the lines of:

1. Perl makes it easy to write unmaintainable code.
2. PHP makes it easy to write insecure code.

I understand that there is some truth to these arguments. I've been
trying to do my best to promote secure programming practices within the
PHP community, because I know that insecure PHP applications reflect
poorly on the language (especially when every project is named PHPthis
and PHPthat).

I suppose this news (and the report) helps us all, but I wish it were a
little more convincing. :-)

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett