Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@nc.rr.com> on 2001/04/01 16:40:25 UTC

jdk debate (IBM vs Sun) (was: cocoon performance differences between Linux and Win2000)

Hello all,

Just my two cents worth on the JDK (IBM vs SUN) that keeps comming up.
If you're doing gui work, Sun's
JDK has a number of issues (mainly with drag and drop, but they happen
regardless of if you're using drag and drop) that pop up on different
platforms (linux for one) with various components.

If you're doing basic server stuff EJB/etc. Then Sun's tends to be
"standard", basically i've not run into mysterious deaths and leaks with
Sun's 1.3 in high volume situations.  So all in all IMHO IBM's tends to
be better on the GUI side of things and Sun's on the server side, from a
performance balanced with stabilty perspective.

-Andy

Re: jdk debate (IBM vs Sun) (was: cocoon performance differences between Linux and Win2000)

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Just my two cents worth on the JDK (IBM vs SUN) that keeps comming up.
> If you're doing gui work, Sun's
> JDK has a number of issues (mainly with drag and drop, but they happen
> regardless of if you're using drag and drop) that pop up on different
> platforms (linux for one) with various components.
>
> If you're doing basic server stuff EJB/etc. Then Sun's tends to be
> "standard", basically i've not run into mysterious deaths and leaks with
> Sun's 1.3 in high volume situations.  So all in all IMHO IBM's tends to
> be better on the GUI side of things and Sun's on the server side, from a
> performance balanced with stabilty perspective.

Have you tested SUN's 1.3.1 beta (that's the one I use on Linux)?

Giacomo

Posted by Arto Viitanen <av...@cs.uta.fi>.

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Hello all,

 So all in all IMHO IBM's tends to
> be better on the GUI side of things and Sun's on the server side.

Some of our student made an Entity-Relationship editor
using Java. When I tried it on SUN's Java, it did not
work right. I could not type any scandinavian letters (äöå),
nor # and some other special characters. With IBM's Java,
the editor worked like it should. Also, I have a tiny
Java program I use as a benchmark (Hanoi Towers). IBM's
java is almost twice as fast.

--
Arto V. Viitanen				                  av@cs.uta.fi
University of Tampere, Department of Computer and Information Sciences