Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/03 11:04:19 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Synapse artifact jar files as OSGi bundles

Folks,

I think OSGi <http://www.osgi.org> [1] is getting more and more attraction
of the Java space and hence I would like to propose releasing OSGi
compatible jar files (OSGi bundles, in other words) as our release jars.

If I further explain this, we just need to add some information in to the
MANIFEST.MF file of the jar file which resides inside the META-INF folder.
This doesn't make any difference to the current behaviors and will add the
ability for these jar files to be treated as OSGi bundles in an OSGi aware
container.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ruwan

[1] - http://www.osgi.org

--
Ruwan Linton
http://wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"

Re: [PROPOSAL] Synapse artifact jar files as OSGi bundles

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Just for interest you might like to hear that Apache Sling (which is a
REST based content-repository and web application platform) has a
model where when you deploy a OSGI bundle it puts code, web pages and
metadata into the repository.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Synapse artifact jar files as OSGi bundles

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Axis2 also in the process of OSGi-fying. I'm glad to help anyway possible.

On side note, OSGi bundle is a very good alternative for packaging issues as
Paul has mentioned.

Thank you!

Saminda

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You read my mind! I had a half written email about using OSGi bundles
> for Synapse to help with the packaging issues we were discussing in
> the other thread.
>
> Paul
>
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I think OSGi <http://www.osgi.org> [1] is getting more and more
> attraction
> > of the Java space and hence I would like to propose releasing OSGi
> > compatible jar files (OSGi bundles, in other words) as our release jars.
> >
> > If I further explain this, we just need to add some information in to the
> > MANIFEST.MF file of the jar file which resides inside the META-INF
> folder.
> > This doesn't make any difference to the current behaviors and will add
> the
> > ability for these jar files to be treated as OSGi bundles in an OSGi
> aware
> > container.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ruwan
> >
> > [1] - http://www.osgi.org
> >
> > --
> > Ruwan Linton
> > http://wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
> > http://ruwansblog.blogspot.com/
> >

> --
> Paul Fremantle
> Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
> Apache Synapse PMC Chair
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> paul@wso2.com

Saminda Abeyruwan

Senior Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc. - www.wso2.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Synapse artifact jar files as OSGi bundles

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Keenan <wa...@gmail.com>.
+2  (both hands)

Also, would supporting more that one registry in Synapse be considred viable?
I'm thinking that a large enterprise application may have a registry
that could be broken down into bundles.
For example, if I was offering an integration framework I might want
to keep the 'core' set of repositry items (e.g. my core SOAP admin
services, XSL. etc) seperate from any user/enterprise/bunsiness app
level registries items, e.g. a core bundle and set of 1 or more app
bundles.

The ability of OSGi to support multiple versions and hot deployment
would align quite nicely even without multiple registries, but
supporting multiple may help modularity similalry as OSGi does.

Regards

Wayne