Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <ro...@gardler.org> on 2005/10/05 12:35:46 UTC

Forrest Tuesday wrapup

I don't have the time to do a complete write up of the discussions like
Diwaker did last time. However, here are a few comments from the time I
was there:

- I felt this was very productive session

- people helped with the LM stuff (thanks)

- expalining the {insert technology here} to someone when you can stop
and say "are you still with me" is much easier than in an email

- this resulted in two relatively new arrivals to dev being able to help
with LM coding (hi Gavin and Paul)

- views also have a new guy in the works (Paul, Thorsten will love you
for ever :-)

- some individual problems with Forrest were fixed for various people -
probably much faster than would have been the case without FT

- Ron has commenced work on a profiling block, and is thinking about
adding benchmarking (will be real useful to start tuning Forrest
performance)

- I think we are starting to get a handle on how to work effectively
using IRC (it's very new to me at least)
   - one very useful resource is http://www.pastebin.com - use it for
sharing log output and snippets of code - thanks Thorsten

- I am totally convinced that Gobby (or something like it) should be
adopted as soon as it is useable by all devs. We tried to do some
collaborative work on the LM stuff, but building patches, uploading,
download, applying, etc. was a real pain. Gobby would have solved all that

I am sure there are other useful bits of info I have forgotten. Please
add them here. More info on all the above in the logs (thanks Cheche and
David)

Ross

Re: Forrest Tuesday wrapup

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mié, 05-10-2005 a las 11:35 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> - views also have a new guy in the works (Paul, Thorsten will love you
> for ever :-)

Jeje, yeah, welcome Paul to views. I laughed quite a few times while
reading the log. ;-)

Thanks to everyone. ;-)

...but not to my provider @home, since one week offline. :( Argh

salu2