Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> on 2005/02/17 17:02:07 UTC

Tomcat control from Ant

Hello all.  I have an Ant build script for an application that stops
Tomcat if it's running, deletes the work folder for the application (so I
can ensure all JSPs get recompiled) and starts Tomcat again.  Here's the
two relevant tasks:

<target name="tomcat_cleanup">
  <delete dir="${app_base_dir}/../../work/Catalina/localhost/toa" />
</target>

<target name="start_tomcat">
  <exec executable="${catalina_home}/bin/startup.bat" os="Windows XP"
spawn="true">
    <env key="CATALINA_HOME" value="${catalina_home}" />
  </exec>
</target>

app_base_dir is properly defined (I know because the work folder DOES get
deleted) pointing to the root of the webapp, as is cataline_home (because
Tomcat DOES start up).  Here's the problem... When I access the first page
on my application (index.jsp in the root of the webapp), I get the
following:

The file or path you specified (..\..\..\\bin\bootstrap.jar) is invalid
relative to C:\tomcat
	org.apache.tools.ant.util.FileUtils.resolveFile(FileUtils.java:761)
	org.apache.tools.ant.Project.resolveFile(Project.java:1293)
<snip - I'm beting the whole stack trace isn't important>

Anyone have any ideas?  Funny thing is, if I manually run startup.bat,
sure enough everything works perfectly as it should.  I don't get it.
Thanks all!

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: Tomcat control from Ant

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
I figured it out... kinda of obvious after the fact actually...

My catalina_home Ant property was defined as ../../../

You see, all the paths in the build script are defined relative to the
build file, which is always in the directory "source" in the root of the
webapp.  Everything else works this way, but not catalina_home.

I defined it as c:\tomcat instead and everything works again.  It would be
nice if I could define in relatively like all the rest, so if anyone has
any ideas, I'm all ears.  But, failing that, I can live with this one
absolute path in the build script.

Sorry for the list noise :)