Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Matthias Schreiber <ma...@gmx.de> on 2000/03/01 10:58:57 UTC

Getting started

Hello,

I am a newbee to the Apache XML project doing my exams in XML
transformations. Just to prevent me from spending too much effort on the
startup process, I've got several quite common questions on Cocoon.
What I want to do is to create PDF and WML docs on the server. Can I use
Cocoon for both or do I additionally have to use FOP for the PDF
creation? Is FOP an add-on to the Cocoon framework or is it absolutely
independent. Perhaps anyone can give me a hint what would be the best
way getting started with my task.
Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
Matthias

Re: Getting started

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
Matthias Schreiber wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a newbee to the Apache XML project doing my exams in XML
> transformations. Just to prevent me from spending too much effort on the
> startup process, I've got several quite common questions on Cocoon.
> What I want to do is to create PDF and WML docs on the server. Can I use
> Cocoon for both or do I additionally have to use FOP for the PDF
> creation? Is FOP an add-on to the Cocoon framework or is it absolutely
> independent. Perhaps anyone can give me a hint what would be the best
> way getting started with my task.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Best regards.
> Matthias
FOP is required to do PDF transformations but Cocoon handles it internally.
You just have to add fop.jar to the classpath. See the samples that come
with Cocoon distribution.  It has 2 PDF examples.

Mike