Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Cor-Paul Bezemer <c....@tudelft.nl> on 2011/03/29 10:51:41 UTC

question about duration assertion

Hi,

I am not sure whether I am missing anything essential here, but I am
confused..

I want to increase load until the response time of the request becomes >
20000ms.

So I set a duration assertion for 20000 and stop the test on an error.

After the test completes, I inspect the generated jtl file and see that the
duration assertion failed indeed.

However, when I inspect the response time for those requests in my IIS log
and in Fiddler, I see that they were nowhere near 20s.

Am I not  understanding something about the duration assertion? Or am I
doing something else wrong? What is the correct way of doing what I want to
achieve?

Thanks!

Cor-Paul

RE: question about duration assertion

Posted by "Jain, Kapil" <ka...@logica.com>.
Are you using listener "View Results Tree" and "Debug Sampler"?

If yes then disable these two and run your script again.

Posted by Cor-Paul Bezemer <c....@tudelft.nl>.

RE: RE: question about duration assertion

Posted by Cor-Paul Bezemer <c....@tudelft.nl>.
I have tried to run JMeter from a different machine, but the same occurs..
In fact, I still get the OutOfMemory issue after 10 threads :/ After this
the test continues and right before I get the following OutOfMemory
exception, the Autostop plugin tells me that the avg response time is over
20s (which it was not as I can see from my IIS log). Can anyone perhaps try
this testcase and see if they get the same result as I do? (make sure to
fill in the URL, should happen with all URLs).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jmeterTestPlan version="1.2" properties="2.1">
  <hashTree>
    <TestPlan guiclass="TestPlanGui" testclass="TestPlan" testname="Test
Plan" enabled="true">
      <stringProp name="TestPlan.comments"></stringProp>
      <boolProp name="TestPlan.functional_mode">false</boolProp>
      <boolProp name="TestPlan.serialize_threadgroups">false</boolProp>
      <elementProp name="TestPlan.user_defined_variables"
elementType="Arguments" guiclass="ArgumentsPanel" testclass="Arguments"
testname="User Defined Variables" enabled="true">
        <collectionProp name="Arguments.arguments"/>
      </elementProp>
      <stringProp name="TestPlan.user_define_classpath"></stringProp>
    </TestPlan>
    <hashTree>
      <CookieManager guiclass="CookiePanel" testclass="CookieManager"
testname="HTTP Cookie Manager" enabled="true">
        <collectionProp name="CookieManager.cookies"/>
        <boolProp name="CookieManager.clearEachIteration">false</boolProp>
        <stringProp name="CookieManager.policy">rfc2109</stringProp>
      </CookieManager>
      <hashTree/>
      <kg.apc.jmeter.threads.SteppingThreadGroup
guiclass="kg.apc.jmeter.threads.SteppingThreadGroupGui"
testclass="kg.apc.jmeter.threads.SteppingThreadGroup" testname="Stepping
Thread Group" enabled="true">
        <stringProp name="ThreadGroup.on_sample_error">stoptest</stringProp>
        <stringProp name="ThreadGroup.num_threads">10000</stringProp>
        <stringProp name="Threads initial delay">0</stringProp>
        <stringProp name="Start users count">10</stringProp>
        <stringProp name="Start users period">5</stringProp>
        <stringProp name="Stop users count">5</stringProp>
        <stringProp name="Stop users period">1</stringProp>
        <stringProp name="flighttime">0</stringProp>
        <elementProp name="ThreadGroup.main_controller"
elementType="LoopController" guiclass="LoopControlPanel"
testclass="LoopController" testname="Loop Controller" enabled="true">
          <boolProp name="LoopController.continue_forever">false</boolProp>
          <intProp name="LoopController.loops">-1</intProp>
        </elementProp>
      </kg.apc.jmeter.threads.SteppingThreadGroup>
      <hashTree>
        <ConfigTestElement guiclass="HttpDefaultsGui"
testclass="ConfigTestElement" testname="HTTP Request Defaults"
enabled="true">
          <elementProp name="HTTPsampler.Arguments" elementType="Arguments"
guiclass="HTTPArgumentsPanel" testclass="Arguments" testname="User Defined
Variables" enabled="true">
            <collectionProp name="Arguments.arguments"/>
          </elementProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.domain">server</stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.port">666</stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.connect_timeout"></stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.response_timeout"></stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.protocol"></stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.contentEncoding"></stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.path">/path/</stringProp>
        </ConfigTestElement>
        <hashTree/>
        <HTTPSampler guiclass="HttpTestSampleGui" testclass="HTTPSampler"
testname="HTTP Request" enabled="true">
          <elementProp name="HTTPsampler.Arguments" elementType="Arguments"
guiclass="HTTPArgumentsPanel" testclass="Arguments" testname="User Defined
Variables" enabled="true">
            <collectionProp name="Arguments.arguments"/>
          </elementProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.domain"></stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.port"></stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.connect_timeout"></stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.response_timeout"></stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.protocol"></stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.contentEncoding"></stringProp>
          <stringProp
name="HTTPSampler.path">/nopcommerce/AppExI_TestCases/tc1_r_large_file.aspx<
/stringProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.method">GET</stringProp>
          <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.follow_redirects">true</boolProp>
          <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.auto_redirects">false</boolProp>
          <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.use_keepalive">true</boolProp>
          <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.DO_MULTIPART_POST">false</boolProp>
          <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.monitor">false</boolProp>
          <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.embedded_url_re"></stringProp>
        </HTTPSampler>
        <hashTree/>
        <kg.apc.jmeter.reporters.AutoStop
guiclass="kg.apc.jmeter.reporters.AutoStopGui"
testclass="kg.apc.jmeter.reporters.AutoStop" testname="jp@gc - AutoStop
Listener" enabled="true">
          <stringProp name="avg_response_time">20000</stringProp>
          <stringProp name="avg_response_time_length">5</stringProp>
          <stringProp name="error_rate">50</stringProp>
          <stringProp name="error_rate_length">10</stringProp>
          <stringProp name="avg_response_latency">0</stringProp>
          <stringProp name="avg_response_latency_length">10</stringProp>
        </kg.apc.jmeter.reporters.AutoStop>
        <hashTree/>
      </hashTree>
    </hashTree>
  </hashTree>
</jmeterTestPlan>

If you are running jmeter on the same machine as your server expect weird
results. Run jmeter on a different machine

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
JMeter does not currently support concurrent downloads in a single
thread, but this would affect all downloads of the same page.
If any specifc samples are much longer then the most likely culprit is
the server or network.

The Cache Manager may be used to simulate browser caching, which might
be another factorm which explains the difference in timings.

Wireshark can show what requests the browser makes; these can be
compared with JMeter.

Posted by Cor-Paul Bezemer <c....@tudelft.nl>.
I have checked with Wireshark, and I see that the request indeed seems to
take that long.. however when I make the request directly from a browser it
is very fast. Does JMeter have some sort of queueing mechanism for handling
HTTP responses or something which may delay the response time?

CP

Well, you can use Wireshark network sniffer to investigate actual network
response times and prove either JMeter or your test setup is wrong.

RE: RE: question about duration assertion

Posted by apc <ap...@apc.kg>.

Posted by Cor-Paul Bezemer <c....@tudelft.nl>.
Ah thanks, this indeed fixed the first OutOfMemory error. I figured it would
give an OutOfMemory exception at some point, but did not expect it to happen
so soon.

Changing the threadcount to 500 allows me to run a complete test without
OutOfMemory errors (yey!), however, the AutoStop plugin still stops the test
because the average response time measured by JMeter is > 20000ms.. When I
check the IIS logs, I see the response time did not go over 1000 ms.

(I'm still running on a local network so network latency shouldn't be the
problem...)

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
>I figured it would give an OutOfMemory exception at some point,
what you are getting isnt the standard OutOfMemory.
>When I check the IIS logs, I see the response time did not go over 1000 ms.
Unless your CPU is pegged at 100% I dont see how this can happen.
You can verify the times you are getting by running another standalone
jmeter on a different machine for a single thread at the same time as your
main test.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 March 2011 11:23, apc <ap...@apc.kg> wrote:
> Yes, it creates all threads at the start of the test. And standard Thread
> Group do the same.

Yes, the ramp-up is implemented by pauses in the thread, rather than
pausing before start() is called.

> 10K threads seems to be bad option for single generator machine.
> Try distributed testing!

Better to use multiple non-GUI tests, distributed testing can place a
large load on the client system and network unless using batch or
statisical sampling mode.

Re: RE: question about duration assertion

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Rather strange.

Posted by apc <ap...@apc.kg>.
A-ha! OutOfMemory!

Posted by Cor-Paul Bezemer <c....@tudelft.nl>.
I have checked and:

1. The server and client are on the same PC so this can't be the problem.
2. This could be possible, but an added ~15 seconds for a request with about
150 threads? Seems high to me, especially for a tool which is designed for
load testing..
3. This checkbox is disabled (not selected) everywhere.
4. I'm not sure what you mean with transaction controller? AFAIK I'm not
using one.

This is the part of jmeter.log around the part in which AutoStop stops the
test:

2011/03/29 15:55:27 INFO  - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Thread started:
Stepping Thread Group 1-150
2011/03/29 15:55:27 INFO  - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Thread started:
Stepping Thread Group 1-141
2011/03/29 15:55:27 INFO  - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Thread started:
Stepping Thread Group 1-143
2011/03/29 15:55:27 INFO  - kg.apc.jmeter.reporters.AutoStop: Average
Response Time is more than 20000 for 5s. Auto-shutdown test...
2011/03/29 15:55:27 ERROR - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Test failed!
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
         at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
         at java.lang.Thread.start(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.jmeter.engine.StandardJMeterEngine.stopTest(StandardJMeterEngine.
java:342)
         at
org.apache.jmeter.engine.StandardJMeterEngine.askThreadsToStop(StandardJMete
rEngine.java:549)
         at kg.apc.jmeter.reporters.AutoStop.stopTest(AutoStop.java:279)
         at
kg.apc.jmeter.reporters.AutoStop.sampleOccurred(AutoStop.java:65)
         at
org.apache.jmeter.threads.ListenerNotifier.notifyListeners(ListenerNotifier.
java:87)
         at
org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.notifyListeners(JMeterThread.java:694
)
         at
org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.process_sampler(JMeterThread.java:362
)
         at
org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:243)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

2011/03/29 15:55:27 INFO  - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Thread finished:
Stepping Thread Group 1-40
2011/03/29 15:55:27 INFO  - jmeter.engine.StandardJMeterEngine: Ending
thread Stepping Thread Group 1-40
2011/03/29 15:55:27 INFO  - kg.apc.jmeter.reporters.AutoStop: Average
Response Time is more than 20000 for 5s. Auto-shutdown test...
2011/03/29 15:55:27 INFO  - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Stopping: Stepping
Thread Group 1-657
2011/03/29 15:55:27 INFO  - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Stopping: Stepping
Thread Group 1-449

CP

Posted by Cor-Paul Bezemer <c....@tudelft.nl>.
Thanks, this indeed does make my configuration easier.

However, the same problem still exists.. at some point the test stops and in
my JMeter log I see the average response time was > 20000ms for 5 seconds,
but when I check my IIS and proxy logs, I see no response time larger than
5000ms.... Any suggestions?

CP

Don't bother building it. There is shapshots here:
http://code.google.com/p/jmeter-plugins/downloads/list?can=1

RE: question about duration assertion

Posted by apc <ap...@apc.kg>.

Posted by Cor-Paul Bezemer <c....@tudelft.nl>.
Thanks! This looks exactly like what I need indeed :)

I'm having some problems building the source though... is there a list of
dependencies I should download available somewhere?

Thx! CP

Posted by apc <ap...@apc.kg>.