Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2022/08/11 20:40:16 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Moving deb/rpm repositories from downloads.apache.org to apache.jfrog.io

The proposal is to move our official debian and redhat repositories from
downloads.apache.org to Apache's JFrog Artifactory server at apache.jfrog.io ,
fronting it with the url aliases debian.cassandra.apache.org and
redhat.cassandra.apache.org

That is to replace the following URLs from
https://downloads.apache.org/cassandra/debian/
https://downloads.apache.org/cassandra/redhat/

https://debian.cassandra.apache.org
https://redhat.cassandra.apache.org

(which in turn redirect to our jfrog repositories at)
https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/cassandra-deb
https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/cassandra-rpm

The rationale to do this is to avoid the strict checksum and signature
requirements on downloads.a.o (which is the same as dist.a.o), as the
debian and redhat repositories have their own system for integrity and
signing (which we already do).

These repositories and their binaries are "convenience binaries" and not
the official Cassandra source binaries, so they do not need to be on
downloads.a.o and can be served from apache.jfrog.io. This is similar to
maven binaries (and docker images).

This will BREAK everyone's existing
`/etc/apt/sources.list.d/cassandra.sources.list` and
`/etc/yum.repos.d/cassandra.repo` files. Folk will need to update these
files to point to the new repo URLs.

The plan is to do the following to ensure people are informed about this
breaking change:
 - announcement to users@
 - README.md in the original URL locations explaining the breakage and how
to fix. (The README.md must be voted on, signed and checksummed),
 - A warning banner on our website downloads page,
 - Every release email for the next 12 months will contain the warning.

background: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17748

Anyone with any questions/objections?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Moving deb/rpm repositories from downloads.apache.org to apache.jfrog.io

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
Thanks Bowen, Jeremiah, Brandon, Erick.

Without any further questions or objections, my plan is to move ahead with
these changes tomorrow.

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> 3. ASF Infra is requesting we remove the rpm/deb files from downloads.a.o
> asap.

To be accurate: ASF Infra is requiring that we fix by (extra superfluous)
signing and re-voting on all past rpm/deb rpm/deb files, OR remove them
from downloads.a.o, asap.

Resigning and re-voting all rpm/deb packages and repositories for all past
releases is a mammoth task that no one wants to undertake.

Furthermore, frog.io being built for this gives us a number of
improvements, e.g. these repositories contain all past patch versions on
each repo series (major/minor). downloads.a.o does not, and if you want to
downgrade you have to switch repositories to archives.a.o  Improving this
situation: ease of downgrades: has been requested by users a number of
times.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Moving deb/rpm repositories from downloads.apache.org to apache.jfrog.io

Posted by Bowen Song via dev <de...@cassandra.apache.org>.
I see. In that case, stick to the original plan makes more sense.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bowen Song via dev <de...@cassandra.apache.org>.
I see. Now I fully understand the change. There's no objections from me,
everything sounds fine.

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
The signing of the rpm/deb packages (and their repos) will not change.

Only the URL to the rpm/deb repo changes. All files (checksums and
signatures) otherwise remain identical.

Posted by Bowen Song via dev <de...@cassandra.apache.org>.

Posted by Jeremiah D Jordan <je...@gmail.com>.

https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#compiled-packages <https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#compiled-packages>