Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by C M <cm...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/24 23:47:08 UTC

Question re: Removing Externals

We've had mixed results using svn externals and have decided to remove them
altogether. Mostly, bi-directional changes we weren't expecting. This was
also because of our inexperience with SVN and using externals.

In any event, my questions are:

1. If I delete the externals from /trunk, what will happen to the tags that
contained the external references? Will they become useable? I am not sure
what to expect.

2. Do I need to delete them from /trunk and /tags/Rel_X (ie each rel tag
which had the externals).?

3. If I delete externals from /trunk, what will happen to any development
branches that were based off trunk and contained externals references?

I am afraid of creating a bigger   mess than we are in at the moment.
Any advice/gotchas are most appreciated.
Amad.

Re: Question re: Removing Externals

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag C M,
am Mittwoch, 24. April 2013 um 23:47 schrieben Sie:

> Any advice/gotchas are most appreciated.

You shouldn't capture other's threads. ;-)

Besides that, your three question seem to be all the same to me: If
you delete svn:externals on the trunk, they aren't available anymore
on the trunk only. If you merge the svn:external removal commit to
other tags or branches, they will be removed there, too. But only if
you merge the change, as with any other change.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de