Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Lars George <la...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/13 12:09:10 UTC

Thrift 2 Update

Hi,

Quick update (as I was asked offline) about where I am with Thrift 2. You may have seen HBASE-8818, which covers my efforts. I had help from a Thrift 2 user, Hamed, to get quite a few ticked off so far. I am now working on a few larger ones, namely porting the coalescent counters and the bounded thread pool support. I have those changes local and will up them for review once I am closer. I am AFK for a short while soon, so all in all I am expecting to get the remaining changes in within a month or two.

Seeing that before no one worked on this, and we even (if you ask me foolishly) proposed to drop Thrift 2 albeit having users of it, I think that is reasonable. It may not align with release cycles, though since I am not part of that I am not aware of what that could cause - please provide input here if you can.

Overall, Thrift 2 with the recent and coming additions is superseding Thrift 1 quickly, so I am strongly in favour to deprecate Thrift 1, either now for a 0.96 release, or when you think it suits. But Thrift 1 has effectively no maintainer (dedicated committer) and I am only going to work on Thrift 2 going forward. So that seem to be a clear path forward.

Any questions, please ask. Otherwise look out for more, larger patches to trickle in over the next few months. I will get there for sure. :)

Cheers,
Lars

Re: Thrift 2 Update

Posted by Wouter Bolsterlee <uw...@xs4all.nl>.
Lars George schreef op di 13-08-2013 om 12:09 [+0200]:
> Quick update (as I was asked offline) about where I am with Thrift 2.
> [snip]

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the write-up about your (upcoming) progress! Do you need
people to review the feature set once you have progressed a bit further?

As the author of the quite popular HappyBase library for Python (with
tens of thousands of downloads according to PyPI [1]), I think my code
is a quite widely used used HBase Thrift (v1) client, so you cab imagine
I'm interested in what the future will bring. :)

(Side note: Though a Thrift 2 port for HappyBase is on the long-term to
do list / roadmap, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to find time to
port and expand HappyBase without external funding.  If anyone wants to
partially fund me to work on it in due time, please contact me
directly.)

    — Wouter

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/happybase/