Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Jayaraman, Jayakumar" <ja...@logicacmg.com> on 2005/08/07 14:39:24 UTC

Jetspeed Vs IBM Portal Toolkit

Hi Guys,

As a begineer to Portlets, I want to know, the difference between Jetspeed and IBM Portal Toolkit.

Is it like if we use, IBM Portal Toolkit (Wizards) it can increase the development speed than using Jetspeed (ANT scripts).

Thanks in adavance. Please clarify,

Cheers,

Jayakumar Jayaraman

IT Consultant
LogicaCMG Global Delivery Center
____________________________
LogicaCMG Pvt Ltd
Divyasree Technopolis,
124-125, Yemlur  P.O.
Off Airport Road,
Bangalore, Karnataka,India
Pin : 560 037.
T: +91 080 5194 0000    Ext. 20390
M: +91 (0) 98456 99329
E:  jayakumar.jayaraman@logicacmg.com
Web : www.logicacmg.com

RE: Jetspeed Vs IBM Portal Toolkit

Posted by David Pankros <dp...@miragy.com>.
> As a begineer to Portlets, I want to know, the difference between
> Jetspeed and IBM Portal Toolkit.
Jetspeed is a portal, much like the comparable IBM product Websphere
Portal Server (WPS).  The IBM Portal toolkit is just a plug-in for
Websphere Application Developer (WSAD) 5 and Rational Application
Developer (RAD) 6 to aid in development of IBM portlets.  Since they are
products with different goals, they're really not directly comparable.

> Is it like if we use, IBM Portal Toolkit (Wizards) it can increase the
> development speed than using Jetspeed (ANT scripts).
Having used IBM portal toolkit briefly, it was my impression that if you
want to get portlets up and working quickly, then it can do the job.  If
you want them to be architected well, or maintainable long-term, you'll
probably wind up writing everything yourself.  As with most wizards,
it's a one-size-fits-all approach that doesn't work well in all
instances. Really, it only works well in the simplest of instances,
IMHO.

Furthermore, unless you choose the option to create JSR168 portlets, the
portlets the wizard creates will be designed to work with the IBM
portlet standard ONLY and will NOT be compatible with other portal
servers without some manual rewriting anyway.  The version I used also
had limitations on what could be done with JSR168, severely limiting the
toolkits value. So find out what features you want to use and if they're
available with JSR168, if you're going that route.  (Since you're
posting to a Jetspeed mailing list, I assume you are developing for
JSR168.)

To be honest, once you understand JSR168 and/or have your own way of
doing things figured out, the IBM portal toolkit isn't going to give you
much.  In the long term you will be just as productive, if not more,
using XDoclet to create your portlet.xml and writing your own portlet
classes.

I use RAD, and even though the portal toolkit is installed, I NEVER use
its features.  I think I used it in my first portlet or two and that was
it.

I hope that helps.

Dave