Posted to builds@apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2019/07/02 21:50:51 UTC

External CI Service Limitations

Hi folks,

As this seems to be a hot topic as of late, I'll provide some
information about our usage of external CI services.

Travis CI: The foundation has an agreement with Travis CI to provide our
projects with external CI services through them. At current, we have
approximately 40 executors there, half of which are currently
(build-time-wise) being occupied by three projects; Flink (21%), Arrow
(18%) and Airflow (13%). The foundation is currently not looking at
increasing the number of executors there, as we are assessing long-term
costs and benefits, and we advise projects that have higher immediate
needs for CI to either use our Jenkins CI system or figure out a
budget/plan (whether that be internal or external to the foundation) for
other options, and to also assess whether the number of builds and their
duration fit with the overall goal of the CI need and the resources
available at our disposal. Currently, all projects have, as of this
week, been capped at 5 concurrent builds with Travis.

AppVeyor and CircleCI: The foundation makes use of the free tier of
these, as we have not received any requests for an increase, nor
assessed whether this is beneficial, and as there are, as things are
right now, permission issues that go against our standard policies for
repository access.

With regards, Daniel on behalf of ASF Infra.

Re: External CI Service Limitations

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 5:37 PM Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ray,
>
> Thanks for the offer of 50k minutes/project. That will definitely work for
> most projects.
>
> While we don't have precise measurements, some projects used *way* more
> than that within Travis last month:
>
> flink: 350k minutes
> arrow: 260k minutes
> cloudstack: 190k minutes
> incubator-druid: 96k
> airflow: 77k
> ... others: less than 50k
>
> I don't know what would be needed from Infra, to enable the use of Gitlab
> CI for our projects. ??
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Stein
> Infrastructure Administrator, ASF

It's also worth noting that those numbers are likely constrained by
our capacity. IIRC Humbedooh said we'd need something close to double
our currently capacity to satiate the backlog of build requests that
we had.

Our current travis load should be something like 1.72MM minutes per month.

--David

Re: External CI Service Limitations

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Fantastic! but the link does not work for me :(

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Jarek,

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
From Apache Airflow side - I am going to try out GitLab CI setup for the

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Ray,

Posted by Raymond Paik <rp...@gitlab.com.INVALID>.
Joan,

Posted by Raymond Paik <rp...@gitlab.com.INVALID>.
Jarek,

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Raymond Paik <rp...@gitlab.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Jarek:

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

> On Jul 3, 2019, at 3:15 PM, Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I was asking if any of the service platforms provided this. So far, it looks like no.

	I was playing around bit with Drone today because we actually need ARM in $DAYJOB and this convo reminded me that I needed to check it out.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

On 2019-07-03 5:57 p.m., Greg Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:36 AM Allen Wittenauer
> <aw...@effectivemachines.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> CouchDB keeps receiving a lot of pressure to build on aarch64, ppc64le
>>> and s390x, which keeps pushing us back to Jenkins CI (ASF or
>>> independent). And if we have to do that, then not much else matters to
>> us.
>>
>>          One of the nice things about using a system that supports external
>> runners is that it allows for contributions of CPU time from like minded
>> individuals.  I wouldn’t trust them to do anything more than run tests
>> though.
>>

> Right. We have a number of external machines contributed to our buildbot
> network. An openbsd box, a Mac box, etc. They run a bunch of svn tests.
>
> We have some external machines using JNLP to hook into our Jenkins network.
>
> If somebody can find a $platform box they need, then it can be hooked in to
> our network for a single overview console of tests (assuming you're already
> using some of apache's systems already).

Yup, we're good here, though a lot of those donated boxes are single
points of failure :(

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

> On Jul 3, 2019, at 8:04 AM, Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> (With my CouchDB release engineer hat on only)
>
> Anyone know if any of these external services supports platforms other
> than amd64/x86_64?

	AFAIK, all of the commercial SaaS companies who have an "open source can use for free” bit that I have experience with only do x86.[*]   Most of them that have external runners do support ‘bring your own non-x86’ machine types.

	There’s also things like OpenLab and the Linux Foundation machines too.  (The latter provided PowerPC machine access to ASF Jenkins but I know when I tried to use them years ago they were incredibly unstable and the software install was extremely lacking to the point of being ultimately unusable for the project.)

	I’ve never worked with pure pay companies in this area, so there are likely companies out there.  It might be worthwhile for someone to do reach out to one since we might get free access for Exposure Bucks or something.

> CouchDB keeps receiving a lot of pressure to build on aarch64, ppc64le
> and s390x, which keeps pushing us back to Jenkins CI (ASF or
> independent). And if we have to do that, then not much else matters to us.

	One of the nice things about using a system that supports external runners is that it allows for contributions of CPU time from like minded individuals.  I wouldn’t trust them to do anything more than run tests though.

* - The big problem here is the lack of cost effective non-x86 machines from cloud providers. Drone, for example, does do ARM since it’s an extension of Packet’s cloud. But I don’t have experience with it so didn’t mention it earlier….  Maybe I’ll bang on it over the long weekend.

Re: External CI Service Limitations

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
[builds@ to bcc: ; add vp-infra]

Jarek, Kamil ... that would be very interesting indeed. We've spoken to
Gitlab on possibilities in the past; it sounds like some of our projects
are interested in their services.

Please feel free to email myself/"us" at vp-infra@apache to discuss any
possible options here. Thanks!

Regards,

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: External CI Service Limitations

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@apache.org>.
Azure pipeline vas the big plus of supporting Linux Windows and macos nodes
And i think you can add you nodes to the pools

Jeff

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 11:56 PM Jarek Potiuk <po...@apache.org> wrote:

> In the meantime maybe INFRA can help to coordinate some effort between
> Flink/Arrow/Airflow to decrease pressure on Travis? We considered few
> options (and are going to implement some of them shortly I think). Some of
> them are not direct changes in Travis CI builds but some other
> workflow/infrastructure changes that will decrease pressure on Travis:

> Maybe the committers from Flink and Arrow can also take a look at
> non-obvious ways how their projects can decrease pressure on Travis (at
> least for the time being). Maybe there are some quick wins we can apply in
> short time in coordinated way and buy more time for switching the
> infrastructure ?

The above is fabulous. Please continue trading thoughts and working to
reduce your Travis loads, for your own benefit and for your fellow projects
at the Foundation.

This list is the best space to trade such ideas. I'm not sure what Infra
can do, as our skillset is quite a bit different from what your projects
need, for reducing load.

We'll keep this list apprised of anything we find. If anybody knows of,
and/or can recommend a similar type of outsourced build service ... we
*absolutely* would welcome pointers.

We're gonna keep Jenkins and buildbot around for the foreseeable future,
and are interested in outsourced solutions.

Cheers,

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <po...@apache.org>.
We also experience huge delays for Airflow (seems that we are the third "whale" according to https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/af52e2a3e865c01596d46374e8b294f2740587dbd59d85e132429b6c@%3Cbuilds.apache.org%3E)

We are evaluating other options for funding as well (including getting some credits from Google for Google Cloud Build / GCP) but it will take time to get resources and to switch.

In the meantime maybe INFRA can help to coordinate some effort between Flink/Arrow/Airflow to decrease pressure on Travis? We considered few options (and are going to implement some of them shortly I think). Some of them are not direct changes in Travis CI builds but some other workflow/infrastructure changes that will decrease pressure on Travis:

* We are going to decrease the matrix of builds we run - currently we have several combinations of Airflow builds (postgres/mysql/sqlite) x (python3.5/ python 3.6) - but we will only run subset of those rather than full matrix

* we are going to combine several of our jobs into one using parallel processing. This is mainly for static code analysis - currently we have one job for each analysis which makes them run in parallel. After the change - when you include machine boot times and use all processors, the overall build time might be even faster than today - AND there will be far less vms to start for the builds.

* we have separate kubernetes-related job. It currently runs only one suite of tests specific to Kubernetes as it requires special setup of the environment, but we are looking into possibility of merging Kubernetes tests into main tests (and faster environment setup with docker-compose) and save 1 job (25% of our test jobs). The main jobs will run a bit longer, but the whole overhead for starting extra job will be gone.

* We introduce (PR is in the final stages of review) an easy way for contributors to run static code analysis on their own environment. A lot of our builds are PR failing because of static code analysis that is run on Travis. Currently it was a bit convoluted and not easily reproducible to run full analysis locally , but we are moving to a fully dockerised setup for builds that will allow contributors to easily run such checks on their machines and we will encourage people to run it locally, rather than submit PRs just to check if the code is right.

* Even more - we are introducing and encouraging easy-to-use "pre-commit" framework in our developer workflow where the analysis will be run at commit time for only the changes being committed - this might further decrease the number of builds submitted by the contributors.

* Lastly - we are introducing an easy to use "simplified development environment" where developers will be able to run all or subset of test suites easily on their machine. Currently our setup is fairly convoluted as well but we have a PR in progress to address it and have a very easy way (again - fully dockerised) to reproduce the test environment.

Fwd: External CI Service Limitations

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

I'm in receipt of Ilya's email on build challenges, and do want to
reply, but have been preoccupied with things at a Foundation level since
I was elected as a Director of the ASF. (Sorry about that.)

Here's a quick brain dump.

While I was making my rounds through lists, the forwarded email below
came up on the builds@apache.org list today. Please read it. Perhaps
this will shed some light on the current slowness in the Travis CI
situation. The original thread is at [4].

Moving entirely to Jenkins CI - whether the build master is run by the
ASF as it is today, or we take on the effort to run our own build master
- will improve things, but we need to take into consideration more
challenges.

For instance, Jenkins has no integration with docker-compose[1]. And
various contributors continue to insist on pushing forward with
ppc64le[2] and aarch64[3] and think donating a single build box will
solve the problem. I don't want us to reintroducing new single points of
failure into the CI chain. Finally, the test suite is still fragile, and
while I see efforts to convert to ExUnit and Elixir, the fragility is
not being resolved at the same time, near as I can tell - nor is it
eliminating our dependence on test timeouts. (Removing those timeouts
entirely would make cross-platform building an easy way out of requiring
multiple CI build agents per target processor architecture.)

These challenges *are* solveable, but they deserve more than just "quick
fixes."

-Joan "so much work, so little time" Touzet

[1]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/528962b6b1fe0e96277f5ebeb0e75ea5460061cf33bf9c2c796200a0@%3Cbuilds.apache.org%3E
[2]: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-docker/issues/68
[3]: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-docker/issues/85