Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Dan Olsen <da...@utah.gov> on 2008/04/21 20:03:07 UTC

Passing a Collection of Objects to a JSP

In my doView function I create a collection of objects that I want to iterate through on a JSP. What is the best way to do that? I have my dispatcher which looks like it sends the response and request variables. Can I add the Collection of objects to that? If so, then how do I iterate through it in the JSP?

Re: Passing a Collection of Objects to a JSP

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Apr 21, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Dan Olsen wrote:

> But how do I get the Collection of object from the doView function
> to the JSP page?

Here is an example of using JSP and portlet tags, also showing both
app and portlet session scoping as well:

------
the JSP view:

<%@ page session="true" contentType="text/html;charset=utf-8"%>
<%@ taglib uri='/WEB-INF/portlet.tld' prefix='portlet'%>
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" prefix='c' %>
<%@include file="/WEB-INF/view/include/portletDefineObjects.jsp" %>

<jsp:useBean id="appScoped" scope="session" class="java.lang.String" />
<jsp:useBean id="portltScoped" scope="request"
class="java.lang.String" />
<b>test</b>

<form method="POST" action="<portlet:actionURL/>">
     <label for='portletScoped'>Portlet Scope Value:</label>
	<input type="text" name="portletScoped" value='<c:out value="$
{portletScoped}"/>' size="20"/>
	<input type="submit" value="Submit"/>
</form>

<form method="POST" action="<portlet:actionURL/>">
     <label for='appScopedCount'>Application Scope Value:</label>
	<input type="text" name="appScoped" value='<c:out value="$
{appScoped}"/>' size="20"/>
	<input type="submit" value="Submit"/>
</form>

---
the java doView:

	public void doView(RenderRequest request, RenderResponse response)
throws PortletException, IOException {
		String portletScoped = (String)
			request.getPortletSession().getAttribute("portletScoped",
PortletSession.PORTLET_SCOPE);
		if (portletScoped == null)
			portletScoped = "";
         request.setAttribute("portletScoped", portletScoped);
		super.doView(request, response);
	}

--
the action:

	public void processAction(ActionRequest request, ActionResponse
response) throws PortletException, IOException
	{
		PortletSession session = request.getPortletSession(true);
		String appScoped = request.getParameter("appScoped");
		if (!StringUtils.isEmpty(appScoped))
		{
			session.setAttribute("appScoped", appScoped,
PortletSession.APPLICATION_SCOPE);
		}
		String portletScoped = request.getParameter("portletScoped");
		if (!StringUtils.isEmpty(portletScoped))
		{
			session.setAttribute("portletScoped", portletScoped,

Posted by Dan Olsen <da...@utah.gov>.
But how do I get the Collection of object from the doView function to the JSP page?

>>> Serkan Camurcuoglu <se...@telenity.com> 4/21/2008 1:43 PM >>>
You can use the JSTL (JSP Standard Tag Library) foreach tag for
iteration. I've found some examples at
http://www.area.trieste.it/opencms/opencms/alkacon-documentation/examples_jstl/iterators/index.html
. By the way, if you're using a web framework such as Struts or Struts2
they also have their custom JSP tags for iteration logic.

Posted by Serkan Camurcuoglu <se...@telenity.com>.