Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Scott Carpenter <sc...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/17 22:33:45 UTC

Advice for upgrading from an old version of Wicket

Hi -- I've inherited a wicket site that was first developed four years ago.
It is running on version 1.4 and I've been asked to estimate an upgrade to
a more current version, and I was hoping to get some advice from this list
about gotchas and so on.

I've been working on the site for several months but consider myself a
newcomer to Wicket. That is, I haven't done a deep dive into learning the
framework yet. I've been updating things based on what I find in the
existing code base. So please forgive me my newbieness and let me know what
details would be helpful.

Furthermore, I'm a newcomer to Java web frameworks in general. There is
Spring and Hibernate involved with this thing, which I've also been able to
update based on the existing state of affairs. The backend is an Oracle
database.

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Scott

Re: Advice for upgrading from an old version of Wicket

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Most of the time this should not matter.
Wicket doesn't use many dependencies.

In this particular case it may matter because Wicket uses CGLib to generate
proxies for classes (in contrast to interfaces) and Hibernate also uses
bytecode generation (either via CGLib or Javassist) so a problem may arise
if it is CGLib and they need different major versions.

Posted by Scott Carpenter <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Carpenter <sc...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Martin. I'll do that.

Posted by MartinoSuperman <ma...@live.nl>.
When you use a different version of Wicket, check, if the version is the same
in NetBeans.

Otherwise, it will be get stuck...

Re: Advice for upgrading from an old version of Wicket

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,