Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io> on 2016/09/08 23:20:32 UTC

M3 is out - New release manager for 1.0 ?

With M3 out and all the discussions we're having around what's needed for
1.0, I think we should continue the rotation of release managers and get a
new volunteer for 1.0.

As part of this conversation we should also discuss the scope and roadmap
for 1.0 and could use the thread [1] for M3 as a starting point.

Here is what got discussed:

-------------
Guys, restarting this thread to get a discussion going about M3, 1.0.0 and
next -  As the release manager for M3 here is what I'd like to propose.

Any feedback is welcome and let's also reuse this thread to talk a little
bit about roadmap as well ?

# Current M3 Scope (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/1.0.
0-incubating.M3+Release)

GEODE-33
GEODE-823
GEODE-835
GEODE-919
GEODE-1146
GEODE-1168
GEODE-1203
GEODE-1259
GEODE-1278
GEODE-1293
GEODE-1316
GEODE-1256
GEODE-1267

== Proposed scope & roadmap ==

I'd like to breakdown the release a little bit and already start planning
the next releases.

# Geode 1.0.0-incubating M3

GEODE-1316 Update @since tags to include GemFire or Geode in the version
name
GEODE-1293 Align code and docs for modules
GEODE-1278 AbstractPeerTXRegionStub should throw
TransactionDataNodeHasDeparted when remote cache is closed
GEODE-1267 NOTICE file improvements
GEODE-1256 Geode website - Unapproved licenses
GEODE-1203 gfsh connect --use-http reports a ClassNotFoundException
GEODE-919 GEODE-823 Remove checksums from .asc files (asc.md5, asc.sha1)
GEODE-835 Replace joptsimple source with a binary dependency
GEODE-823 RC Feedback: Fix build artifacts
GEODE-33-1 Create project examples

# Geode 1.0.0-incubating

GEODE-33-2 Create project examples
GEODE-1331 gfsh.bat on Windows is incorrect
GEODE-1168 geode-dependencies manifest is missing jars that are present in
the lib directory
GEODE-629 Replace use of org.json with Jackson JSON library
GEODE-607 the offheap package needs better unit test coverage
GEODE-136 Fix possible NullPointerException in Gfsh's 'list regions'
command's GetRegionsFunction.

# Geode 1.X.0-incubating

GEODE-17 Provide Integrated Security
GEODE-11 Lucene Integration
GEODE-33-3 Create project examples

# Geode 2.0.0-incubating

GEODE-72 Remove deprecated APIs from Geode
GEODE-37 Package renaming
-------------

[1] http://markmail.org/message/6roww5yc3xhdpdck
--
~/William

Re: M3 is out - New release manager for 1.0 ?

Posted by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>.
For Geode-17:
    GEODE-1570 (secure developer REST API) : is in progress, and by the
commits I think its very close to being done.
    GEODE-1659 (Prevent misconfiguration of Integrated Security) : has not
been started yet.
 everything else has been completed.

So, can we can say GEODE-1570 is targeted for 1.0?

-Swapnil.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.
I think we should do these security features incrementally after 1.0.0.

--
Mike Stolz
Principal Engineer, GemFire Product Manager

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>.
According to this thread[1] the scope for 1.0 was:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geode-dev/201605.mbox/%
3CCABKA6No4CQmjuzQ4Q0MY5+Nj4=e08jin8LOsaiRUoVEUf+Txaw@mail.gmail.com%3E

GEODE-33-2 Create project examples
GEODE-1331 gfsh.bat on Windows is incorrect
GEODE-1168 geode-dependencies manifest is missing jars that are present in
the lib directory
GEODE-629 Replace use of org.json with Jackson JSON library
GEODE-607 the offheap package needs better unit test coverage
GEODE-136 Fix possible NullPointerException in Gfsh's 'list regions'
command's GetRegionsFunction.
GEODE-1191  HDFS references
GEODE-612    Update Jackson version since current version is not on Maven
central

Rebranding tickets targeted for 1.0 were:
GEODE-985 gfsh help text: rebrand for open source
GEODE-1465 Branding: rename JMX endpoints from 'Gemfire' to 'Geode'
GEODE-1466 Branding: rename gemfire.properties file to geode.properties file
GEODE-1467 Branding: Rename servlet URLs from gemfire to geode

From above, Anthony proposed:
GEODE-37 (package renaming)
GEODE-1791 (LICENSE update)

of these, following issues are still unresolved:
GEODE-1168 geode-dependencies manifest is missing jars that are present in
the lib directory
GEODE-629 Replace use of org.json with Jackson JSON library
GEODE-136 Fix possible NullPointerException in Gfsh's 'list regions'
command's GetRegionsFunction
GEODE-1465 Branding: rename JMX endpoints from 'Gemfire' to 'Geode'
GEODE-1466 Branding: rename gemfire.properties file to geode.properties file

To me, GEODE-1168 and GEODE-629 do not seem "must have" for 1.0. Also,
GEODE-1465 is not immediately user visible, so can be skipped too. However,
I think we should target GEODE-17 for 1.0.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>.
I can take on this task for 1.0