Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2021/04/07 05:44:35 UTC

Naming issue with 3.0.0-RC1

Hi,

when posting the announcement of 3.0.0-RC1 to announce@a.o it was rejected for
the following reasons:

* the message itself had to much details -> I've removed the list of tickets and
replaced it with a link to the release notes
* the download page contained direct download links instead of letting the user
decide which mirror to use -> I've fixed that, so that one has to choose a
mirror or use the proposed one
* the fact that I named the release "release candidate" was a showstopper

I had a lengthy discussion with one of the moderators about the usage of the
term "release candidate". Many other projects are using it to name their RCs
which become a real release if approved and are never released itself using the
term "RC". Those RCs fit into the ASF definition of release candidates which are
not allowed to be released, see [1], [2]

We came to the conclusion that
* our RC-release is different compared to those RCs of other projects
* it is impossible to rename the current release as it is already hit the
mirrors and maven central
* it is ok to leave it as is

In the future we shall avoid using "RC" and use "alpha" or "beta" instead.

After more than 10 years of cutting PDFBox releases I thought I know all bits of
the release process but obviously there is always room for improvements ;-)

Cheers
Andreas

[1] https://apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#what
[2] https://apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-types