Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/01 04:17:52 UTC

Downloading Hadoop from s3://spark-related-packages/

https://s3.amazonaws.com/spark-related-packages/

spark-ec2 uses this bucket to download and install HDFS on clusters. Is it
owned by the Spark project or by the AMPLab?

Anyway, it looks like the latest Hadoop install available on there is
Hadoop 2.4.0.

Are there plans to add newer versions of Hadoop for use by spark-ec2 and
similar tools, or should we just be getting that stuff via an Apache mirror
<http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html>? The latest version is 2.7.1, by
the way.

The problem with the Apache mirrors, if I am not mistaken, is that you
cannot use a single URL that automatically redirects you to a working
mirror to download Hadoop. You have to pick a specific mirror and pray it
doesn't disappear tomorrow.

Nick

Re: Downloading Hadoop from s3://spark-related-packages/

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
not that likely to get an answer as it’s really a support call, not a
bug/task.

The first question is about proper documentation of all the stuff we’ve
been discussing in this thread, so one would think that’s a valid task. It
doesn’t seem right that closer.lua, for example, is undocumented. Either
it’s not meant for public use (and I am not an intended user), or there
should be something out there that explains how to use it.

I’m not looking for much; just some basic info that covers the various
things I’ve had to piece together from mailing lists and Google.

there’s no mirroring, if you install to lots of machines your download time
will be slow. You could automate it though, do something like D/L, upload
to your own bucket, do an s3 GET.

Yeah, this is what I’m probably going to do eventually—just use my own S3
bucket.

It’s disappointing that, at least as far as I can tell, the Apache
foundation doesn’t have a fast CDN or something like that to serve its
files. So users like me are left needing to come up with their own solution
if they regularly download Apache software to many machines in an automated
fashion.

Now, perhaps Apache mirrors are not meant to be used in this way. Perhaps
they’re just meant for people to do the one-off download to their personal
machines and that’s it. That’s totally fine! But that goes back to my first
question from the ticket—there should be a simple doc that spells this out
for us if that’s the case: “Don’t use the mirror network for automated
provisioning/deployments.” That would suffice. But as things stand now, I
have to guess and wonder at this stuff.

Nick
​

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 24 Dec 2015, at 05:59, Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>> wrote:

FYI: I opened an INFRA ticket with questions about how best to use the Apache mirror network.

Nick

not that likely to get an answer as it's really a support call, not a bug/task. You never know though.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, yeah, some Googling confirms this, though there isn't any clear
documentation about this.

Strangely, if I click on the link from your email the download works, but
curl and wget somehow don't get redirected correctly...

Nick

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 6:40 PM Shivaram Venkataraman <

Posted by Shivaram Venkataraman <sh...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
I think the lua one at

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Oh, sweet! For example:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/hadoop/common/hadoop-2.7.1/hadoop-2.7.1.tar.gz?asjson=1

Thanks for sharing that tip. Looks like you can also use as_json
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/content/dyn/mirrors/mirrors.cgi>
(vs. asjson).

Nick
​