Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Yin T <bu...@hotmail.com> on 2008/03/01 17:58:50 UTC

Question about the database schema

There were mention in the video tutorial that some part of the ofbiz database
schema was somewhat different than that described in the "The Data Model
Resource Book" by Len Silverston.

Could someone list the aspects of the schema that have changed.  If
possible, why?

Re: Question about the database schema

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
IMHO, there are too much to be listed, and moreover there are some new every week...

Maybe someone have a better idea/tool (OmniGraffle ? I saw that David commited some related stuffes recently, notably the last :
r631869 and ?) ? But even with a good tool it's still not an easy task, and as I said, the target is moving ...

Jacques

From: "Yin T" <bu...@hotmail.com>

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:58 AM, Yin T wrote:

> There were mention in the video tutorial that some part of the ofbiz
> database
> schema was somewhat different than that described in the "The Data
> Model
> Resource Book" by Len Silverston.
>
> Could someone list the aspects of the schema that have changed.  If
> possible, why?

This question assumes some things that aren't true, most importantly:

"The Data Model Resource Book represents a database schema."

Those books do NOT define a database schema. Instead they define a
series of business-oriented data model concepts. The point of reading
those books is to understand those concepts which are the basic ideas
behind the OFBiz data model.

So no, I don't think it would be possible to answer your question and
it requests comparing two things that are different. As for the
concepts in the books versus the concepts in OFBiz, there are no
significant changes there. There are however many concepts in the
OFBiz data model that are not covered in the books, and for book 2
(the industry-specific one) there are still concepts that are not yet
in the OFBiz data model.

-David