Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2009/10/15 01:58:45 UTC

first bits of feedback on 0.10

Hey guys,

Thought you'd might like to hear something back...thanks for the new
release...we're in an early playing around phase...

* in basic preliminary tests 0.10 looks quite ok for us; looks like
all our code-on-top-of-couch still works; looks like no noticeable
performance difference
* most pressing feature in 0.10 for us are some of the bugfixes on
replication stuff; will be re-evaluating push replication, more
details about any/all changes/suggestions welcome (currently we're
using pull replication because its been recommended as more robust for
0.9...)
* the rumored (configurable?) changes to fsync behavior are not
documented well (yet?)
* hmm, in genera please do expand on release notes so we don't have to
comb through svn commits (though we're doing that anyway...)
* a mac os x 10.5 build would really help make func tests easier
pretty please :-)  (@see http://janl.github.com/couchdbx/?dbx=010 )

cheers,

Leo

Re: first bits of feedback on 0.10

Posted by Nils Breunese <n....@vpro.nl>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> * a mac os x 10.5 build would really help make func tests easier
> pretty please :-)  (@see http://janl.github.com/couchdbx/?dbx=010 )

There is a CouchDBX 0.10.0 for Mac OS X 10.5 now:
http://janl.github.com/couchdbx/

Nils.

Re: first bits of feedback on 0.10

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On Oct 14, 2009, at 6:39 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

>> * hmm, in genera please do expand on release notes so we don't have
>> comb through svn commits (though we're doing that anyway...)
>
> CHANGES should list everything you need for each release.
>
> I think we dropped the ball for this release in terms of NEWS and
> CHANGES.
>
> I'll try to make sure the quality is better next time.
>
>> * a mac os x 10.5 build would really help make func tests easier
>> pretty please :-)  (@see http://janl.github.com/couchdbx/?dbx=010 )
>
> If doesn't work on OS X 10.5? News to me.

Have you tried MacPorts to provide CouchDB?

Regards,
Blair

Re: first bits of feedback on 0.10

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
> * hmm, in genera please do expand on release notes so we don't have to
> comb through svn commits (though we're doing that anyway...)

CHANGES should list everything you need for each release.

I think we dropped the ball for this release in terms of NEWS and
CHANGES.

I'll try to make sure the quality is better next time.

> * a mac os x 10.5 build would really help make func tests easier
> pretty please :-)  (@see http://janl.github.com/couchdbx/?dbx=010 )

If doesn't work on OS X 10.5? News to me.

Patches welcome! Get your name in the THANKS file. Limited time
offer! :p

Re: first bits of feedback on 0.10

Posted by Zachary Zolton <za...@gmail.com>.
These were the two problems I encountered while upgrading from the
0.9.1 to 0.10 version of CouchDB:
http://zdzolton.wordpress.com/2009/09/04/getting-ready-for-couchdb-0-10/

Big changes in the _list and _show APIs:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Formatting_with_Show_and_List#Listing_Views_with_couchdb_0.10

Breaking changes:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Breaking_changes

Cheers,