Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by ModPerl List <mo...@frhweb.com> on 2004/06/29 11:26:32 UTC

Error installing

I am trying to install mod_perl on Red Hat 8.0, which is running cPanel 9.4.1_C63 and WHM 9.4.0

Here are the installation instructions I have:

Quote:

How to Install mod_perl
Sometime back I had mod_perl installed on my server, and I was given the install instructions. I wanted to pass them on to everyone. Usually I can only ask questions so I thought it would be nice to turn around and contribute this to the board.

It works great. This has been used to install on RH 7.3 & 9, and cpanel 8.xxx servers:

PLESE NOTE: change the x.xx to the actual version number of mod_perl you have downloaded.

# Get the mod_perl .tar.gz from http://search.cpan.org/dist/mod_perl/

# unpack it:
$ tar xzf mod_perl-x.xx.tar.gz

# get into the directory
$ cd mod_perl-x.xx

# Configure
$ perl Makefile.PL USE_APXS=1 WITH_APXS=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs EVERYTHING=1

# Make
$ make

# Install
$ make install

# Activate
$ /usr/local/apache/bin/apxs -a -n perl -i libperl.so

That last line is the one you'll need to run if you re-compile
Apache. The mod_perl binary is at
/home/mod_perl/mod_perl-x.xx/apaci/libperl.so, so a simple way to do
this would be to put the following lines in a file:

--- cut here ---
#!/bin/sh

libperl=/home/mod_perl/mod_perl-x.xx/apaci/libperl.so
apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs

$apxs -a -n perl -i $libperl

/etc/init.d/httpd stop
/etc/init.d/httpd start
--- cut here ---

Name the file add-mod-perl.sh and execute "chmod +x
add-mod-perl.sh". Then, after compileing apache run the script
("./add-mod-perl.sh") and it should all work.

You might need to actually restart apache from WHM. The when you view the WHM news you will now see mod_perl installed.

Also, everytime you recompile apache you have to add the mod_perl back in after, so you will need to run ./add-mod-perl.sh again like you did orginally.

END QUOTE

Ok, I reached this command:

$ perl Makefile.PL USE_APXS=1 WITH_APXS=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs EVERYTHING=1

I recieved this error:

Reading Makefile.PL args from @ARGV
[  error] Unable to determine server version, aborting.
[  error] Please specify MP_APXS or MP_AP_PREFIX.

What causes this error?
Could it be @ARGV?
Thank you,
Richard