Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> on 2005/11/03 14:37:50 UTC

(Possible OT) Question using struts-layout TagLib

Greetings

I am seeking a Grid control with column headings which when clicked will re-sort the individual items according to the clicked column
sort algorithm
I am presently looking at struts-layout Grid control and was wondering if anyone has experience with sorting characteristics
of the individual items based on the (hopefully sortable) column which was clicked
http://struts.application-servers.com/intro/collection.html

Any suggestions?

Thank You,

Martin-

Re: [OT] Question using struts-layout TagLib

Posted by Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de>.
Michael Jouravlev schrieb:

> On 11/3/05, Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de> wrote:
>
>>Or eXtremeTable (www.extremecomponents.org), which is
>>what we use in our current project.

> Home page is not shown if Javascript is turned off. Not even a message.

Yep. Wasn't so earlier, but according to the author the
project moved to a new provider recently who accepts
Spring (the former obviously did not). May go away.

> In the online samples each page has unique URL, so after going three
> pages forward one needs to click Back button three times to return
> where he started. DisplayTag allows to provide URL where to return
> after each page flip, so you can use a single location for all table
> pages.

Nice :-) Don't know if eXtremeTable can do the same. Of
course, you can also specify an URL attribute (is that
what you mean?) which is a necessity with Tiles anyway.
Grid navigation itself is handled via parameters; don't
know how DisplayTag handles this from memory. Anyhow,
I've never really missed the single location thing.
Depends on the scenario, of course :-)

> For an example of how a single location works, see MailReader online
> demo here: http://www.superinterface.com/mailreader

Registration bravely accepts password 'a', but complains
it's too short at logon. Odd. Shouldn't it be the other
way round? At least, the user account is kind of useless
afterwards. May also go away :-)

> Log In as "user"/"pass" and select "Manage Subscriptions".
> Subscriptions are displayed in four in a page. You can add, edit or
> delete subscriptions or flip pages, and you still will stay on the
> same location, see address bar in your browser. If you click Back
> button, you will _immediately_ return to main menu, you do not need to
> go through all subscriptions you viewed or edited.

Our general UI policy is that if the user clicks the browser 'back'
button, he should see the last page he visited, which usually is
the last result page from the datagrid. If he wants to 'bail out',
we provide a navigation menu for such cases (Tiles be thanked).
Generally, I don't like the 'back' button in web apps too much,
in particular in connection with forms. YMMV.

> This particular table was created with Struts-EL tags; with DisplayTag
> it would be twice smaller and much cleaner in a JSP code.

DisplayTag is fine, eXtremeTable is fine too. We chose it
because it sports quite a lot of very useful features, it
works, it's easy to use and well-designed. There's a third
component available from sf.net named ValueListHandler or
so; Matt Raible has an article about eXtremeTable (plus some
demos) on his site where IIRC it was mentioned somewhere. A
fourth one would be the datagrid component from the Apache
taglib site, but it falls back when compared to the other
options and I doubt too many people use it for production
sites.

> Michael.

-- Chris.

Re: [OT] Question using struts-layout TagLib

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

--
Struts Dialogs: code-behind for Struts
http://struts.sourceforge.net/strutsdialogs

Re: [OT] Question using struts-layout TagLib

Posted by Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de>.
Or eXtremeTable (www.extremecomponents.org), which is
what we use in our current project.

-- Ch.