Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pid <pi...@pidster.com> on 2011/06/01 13:14:29 UTC

Re: Tomcat with Cisco ACE Load Balancer

On 31/05/2011 21:10, Tauqir Akhtar wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have been using Weblogic Clusters with Cisco ACE Load Balancer
> We have 8 managed servers in the weblogic Cluster distributed evenly over two Machines.
> Load Balancer distributes the load in Robin Round fashion across these 8 managed servers using the concept of Stickiness.
>
> Now we need to replace Weblogic with Tomcat.
> I am looking for a document that would help me replicate this existing architecture in Tomcat environments.
>
> Questions that I have:
>

>  *   How many tomcat Installation would be required?

Impossible to say, we don't know anything about your application, server
spec, environment, current performance, etc etc etc

>  *   Or it would be single Installation on each machines and then copying of directory for each port?

Impossible to say, we don't know anything about your application, server
spec, environment, current performance, etc etc etc

Also: I don't know what 'copying of directory for each port' means.

>  *   Will load Balancer see any difference if the request is from a Tomcat or Weblogic?

The app server make requests to the load balancer?  Or the load balancer
directs requests to each app server?

>  *   If yes, then what are changes required in Load Balancer configuration?

Impossible to say, we don't know anything about your application, server
spec, environment, current performance, etc etc etc

> Pease help me with your suggestions.

Please provide some meaningful information.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@apache.org>.
 This looks looks like a nice time to look at your existing traffic and get
actuals of
1) Hits per second
2) Bandwidth usage

Then use your access logs (or if you have a test suite - use that ...
guessing owning 8 weblogic instances probably means there was a budget to
own a test suite) to determine the load to hit a single tomcat instance. Now
stress test that single tomcat instance.

Now you have a baseline of what a single tomcat can do. Can a single
instance handle all the traffic? if so - you are done since you have a
second server available you now have failover/redundancy.

if your still reading to this point - the above is a lie. [ok - not a lie
... just not completely accurate] We don't know how session management is
handled. If session management is clustered where both tomcats need to
handle the other tomcat's sessions in failover ... then you have more
performance testing todo. Because the overhead to replicate sessions may
overwhelm the server. (via cpu, network, or both) If you are doing sticky
management where a server goes down and all the sessions are lost ... then -
you actually are done your testing. (and can easily scale too - minus that
one pesky side effect of session loss)

[As other mentioned too ... Tomcat is just a servlet container - if your
using any other J2EE features - they might not be readily available on
Tomcat.]

[I have a suspicion that you can run one tomcat on each server with no
problem and greatly simplify the existing setup.]

-Tim

On 6/1/2011 4:08 PM, Tauqir Akhtar wrote:

Thanks Pid for you updates.

All I am trying here to implement Tomcat in Load Balanced Environment.
WE have Java EE base web Application. And we have two 36 GB web
servers. Currently they have WebLogic installed on them. Four Instance
of WebLogic managed servers run on each machine. Our Java
Appplicatiion is deployed on all of these web servers.

Machine 1  : WebsLogicServer1 (Port : 6001)
  		WebsLogicServer2 (Port : 6002)
		WebsLogicServer3 (Port : 6003)
		WebsLogicServer4 (Port : 6004)

Machine 1  : WebsLogicServer4 (Port : 6005)
  		WebsLogicServer6 (Port : 6006)
		WebsLogicServer7 (Port : 6007)
		WebsLogicServer8 (Port : 6008)

Re: Tomcat with Cisco ACE Load Balancer

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Tauqir Akhtar [mailto:TAkhtar@jny.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat with Cisco ACE Load Balancer

> All I am trying here to implement Tomcat in Load Balanced Environment.

> Please if you can guide me .

Pid's words still stand:

Posted by Tauqir Akhtar <TA...@jny.com>.
Thanks Pid for you updates.

All I am trying here to implement Tomcat in Load Balanced Environment.
WE have Java EE base web Application. And we have two 36 GB web servers. Currently they have WebLogic installed on them. Four Instance of WebLogic managed servers run on each machine. Our Java Appplicatiion is deployed on all of these web servers.

Machine 1  : WebsLogicServer1 (Port : 6001)
  		WebsLogicServer2 (Port : 6002)
		WebsLogicServer3 (Port : 6003)
		WebsLogicServer4 (Port : 6004)

Machine 1  : WebsLogicServer4 (Port : 6005)
  		WebsLogicServer6 (Port : 6006)
		WebsLogicServer7 (Port : 6007)
		WebsLogicServer8 (Port : 6008)

Right now we are using WebLogic Servers in a Cluster that are loaded balanced by Cisco Load Balancer.

In current scenario using WebLogic , if a user sends a request , it goes to the Cisco Load Balancer which directs it to any of the 8 Weblogic Ports in the cluster based on Robin Round Algorithm.

We don't have any performance issues as of now.

All I am trying here to replicate this setup using Tomcat instead oof weblogic.

Please if you can guide me .

Thanks

Tauqir Akhtar
212 801 8039