Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Daniel Pocock <da...@pocock.pro> on 2014/03/03 13:44:13 UTC

Re: Google Summer of Code - Java opportunity, mentors needed

On 27/02/14 02:21, Martin Gainty wrote:

>> From: jnord@cisco.com
>> To: users@maven.apache.org
>> Subject: RE: Google Summer of Code - Java opportunity, mentors needed
>> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 16:17:29 +0000

>>> jumped directly to a solution and then said can’t be done.
>>>
>>> No, I discussed the two paths from the POM: -sources and <scm/>
>> My mistake, sorry.

>>> we know that "org.foobar:baz:1.2.3:jar" is MIT as it claims and doesn’t
>>> contain some GPL Code.
>>>
>>> Which is a fine reason to contribute it Maven 4 where the POM could contain
>>> the necessary metadata to enable it.
>> This shouldn't prohibit something using what exists now.
>>
>> One commercial company has done something for some subset of artifacts - which may have been entirely human process/mixed or automated.
> MG>How will the aggrgeator mechanism aggreate for this subset of artifacts
> MG>Scope?
> MG>Classifier?
>
> MG>With regards to GPLartifacts could'nt we find the necessary violations with Sonatype CLM
> MG>(No plug for Sonatype intended)

I've put up more details of how this project could be broken down into
discrete tasks:

http://danielpocock.com/automatically-and-recursively-building-java-projects

Re: Google Summer of Code - Java opportunity, mentors needed

Posted by Daniel Pocock <da...@pocock.com.au>.

On 05/03/14 14:20, Martin Gainty wrote:

>> From: waynefay@gmail.com
>> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 22:12:20 -0600
>> Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code - Java opportunity, mentors needed
>> To: users@maven.apache.org
>>
>>> When you call this GSOC, are you looking to sponsor a student within
>>> the Apache Maven project? I don't think that this is viable. If you
>>> have some other sponsoring organization and an intention to manage it
>>> elsewhere, then I wish you luck but I have no standing to object.
>>
>> Benson, scroll back and read the original message, he stated...
>>
> MG>the assumption of a mentor is that someone somewhere will be tasked to train this individual

Unfortunately, that is not a good assumption

The best GSoC applicants are already involved in free software
development, sometimes even doing paid work in an IT department that
overlaps with their GSoC project

In this case, the mentor is not training them, rather, the mentor's
biggest responsibilities are:

a) looking for such good candidates

b) helping them set sensible goals that can be completed within 8-10 weeks

c) reviewing their progress

d) providing resources (e.g. access to build servers)

> MG>and since this is a GSOC Project the assumption is the mentor position will be uncompensated
> MG>The other assumption is that the person being mentored is a student
> MG>Because they have trained for free in the past anyone who is assumed to be tagged with an additional responsibility of MG>training this <PersonWhoNeedsToBeTrained> has a right to raise objections...
> MG>Assuming the mentor will work for free uncompensated to train others is not a safe assumption

This whole "uncompensated" emphasis is very biased

People distribute software "uncompensated".  Linux is an example.

You can go and use WhatsApp without paying them anything to send a
message, their company was valued at $16 billion despite the fact they
are "uncompensated" by their users.

Typically, mentors are not getting cash paid by the hour, getting some
kind of value in-kind:

- the mentor has no time or budget to complete some optional piece of
work on their own, like improving their tools, it wouldn't get done
otherwise

- the student is an extra tester for the project and related tools that
are of interest to the mentor

RE: Google Summer of Code - Java opportunity, mentors needed

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 6:12 AM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When you call this GSOC, are you looking to sponsor a student within
>> the Apache Maven project? I don't think that this is viable. If you
>> have some other sponsoring organization and an intention to manage it
>> elsewhere, then I wish you luck but I have no standing to object.
>
> Benson, scroll back and read the original message, he stated...

OK, apologies.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.