Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christoph Kukulies <ku...@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> on 2001/05/18 11:50:51 UTC

writing a file on the client side

I've written a webapp which allows the client (browser) to upload
a file using com.oreilly.servlet.MultipartRequest etc.

On the server side is done some processing of that file,it's
content listed in the browser and then the client should
insert a diskette and a couple of lines should be processed on
the client side by a program which can only be run there. (the server
is Unix (FreeBSD), the clients are Windows NT/2000).

My problem is: How can 'download' a file into the client directory,
possibly into the same directory where the uploaded file is located?

I experimented with rsh/rexec and with the rshsvc from he NT resource kit
I managed to exec programs on the client steered from Servlets on the
server. But passing a larger amount of data as command line arguments
(Environmental limit, DOS prompt etc.) to a .bat file isn't quite
my taste.