Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2009/04/24 17:07:10 UTC

Bot spam increasing?

Has anyone else noticed an increase in bot spam? My black list has grown
by about 1/3 in the last month.

Re: Bot spam increasing?

Posted by Rob Foehl <rw...@loonybin.net>.
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed an increase in bot spam? My black list has grown by
> about 1/3 in the last month.

Yes, I just checked the numbers for the last few weeks.  Volume was in
line with the weekly average for March through two weeks ago, last week
shows a 55% increase over the March levels, and this week is above 96%
already with two days to go before a log rotation.  Nearly all of it is
coming from the typical set of compromised machines.

Does this actually amount to anything more than a curiosity?  From my
perspective, it's just more of the same.  For what it's worth, the SA
numbers haven't changed significantly -- it's not even getting a crack at
this latest spate, the SMTP checks are doing the job.

-Rob

Re: Bot spam increasing?

Posted by Andy Dorman <ad...@ironicdesign.com>.
Marc Perkel wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed an increase in bot spam? My black list has grown
> by about 1/3 in the last month.

We have seen an increase of over 50% in spam volume this month.  A lot of it
does seem to be coming from bots.

--
Andy Dorman
Ironic Design, Inc.