Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by tuxedomoon <da...@yahoo.com> on 2015/03/02 14:12:31 UTC

Re: Does shard splitting double host count

Shawn, in light of Garth's response below

"You can't just add a new core to an existing collection.  You can add the
new node to the cloud, but it won't be part of any collection.  You're not
going to be able to just slide it in as a 4th shard to an established
collection of 3 shards."

how is it that you say I can just start up new hosts, especially without
modfying the numShards parameter from 3 to 4?  And then probably reindexing
because the other options look risky (my company has no backup system).

Re: Does shard splitting double host count

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/2/2015 6:12 AM, tuxedomoon wrote:
> Shawn, in light of Garth's response below
>
> "You can't just add a new core to an existing collection.  You can add the
> new node to the cloud, but it won't be part of any collection.  You're not
> going to be able to just slide it in as a 4th shard to an established
> collection of 3 shards."
>
> how is it that you say I can just start up new hosts, especially without
> modfying the numShards parameter from 3 to 4?  And then probably reindexing
> because the other options look risky (my company has no backup system).

Starting up new hosts will add them to the cloud.  It will not change
the composition of indexes that already exist.

I'm saying that you can fire up new hosts, then create a new collection,
and if there are enough shard replicas specified on the CREATE call, it
will use the new hosts without you needing to explicitly tell it to.

Thanks,
Shawn