Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Uri David Akavia <ud...@columbia.edu> on 2010/12/13 18:33:08 UTC

LICENSE - Embedding math-commons in our webpage

Hi.

I am the first author on a recently published project which uses your
math commons library, which we are very grateful for in our lab.
The project has been released at this website
http://www.c2b2.columbia.edu/danapeerlab/html/conexic.html.

We would like to embed math-commons 2.1 (the version we used for this
project) on our webpage. In that way, people who download our project
can download all files from one place (and the version will remain
constant with our project).

I've tried reading the Apache license and I'm not sure I understand.
Are we allowed to do so? Is there a specific phrasing we should use
for this link?

We're thinking about writing something like
In order to run CONEXIC, please download it as well as the math
commons library (see http://commons.apache.org/math/ for more detail
about this library).

Where the words "the math commons library" are a copy of your library.

Please let us know the legal status.

Thank you very much,

Uri David

Re: LICENSE - Embedding math-commons in our webpage

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 13/12/2010 18:33, Uri David Akavia a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> I am the first author on a recently published project which uses your
> math commons library, which we are very grateful for in our lab.
> The project has been released at this website
> http://www.c2b2.columbia.edu/danapeerlab/html/conexic.html.
>
> We would like to embed math-commons 2.1 (the version we used for this
> project) on our webpage. In that way, people who download our project
> can download all files from one place (and the version will remain
> constant with our project).
>
> I've tried reading the Apache license and I'm not sure I understand.
> Are we allowed to do so? Is there a specific phrasing we should use
> for this link?

You are allowed to do this.

> We're thinking about writing something like
> In order to run CONEXIC, please download it as well as the math
> commons library (see http://commons.apache.org/math/ for more detail
> about this library).

You should also point out commons-math is distributed under the terms of
the Apache License version 2.0 with a link to it:
<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>.

Also make sure that in the downloadable parts, the LICENSE.txt and
NOTICE.txt are included. If you use directly one of our distribution
archives, they are included. If you use a modified version, the changed
files must be clearly marked as changed.

Thank you for using commons-math

best regards,
Luc