Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2010/08/02 15:18:03 UTC

[RFC] Swing interop features

Hi all,

One of the things I have been focusing on for Pivot 2.0 is trying to make it easier for Swing developers to transition to Pivot. For example, DesktopApplicationContext now supports multiple (optionally modal) top-level frame windows, and it is now much easier to use Pivot components within an existing Swing application:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/examples/src/org/apache/pivot/examples/displays/

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/examples/src/org/apache/pivot/examples/swing/

Another idea I had was to create a "Pivot" L&F for Swing. This L&F would mimic the appearance of the Terra theme, to help provide visual consistency for applications that use both Pivot and Swing. I also thought it might be useful to provide adapter classes for Swing model data (primarily ListModel, TableModel,TreeModel, and SpinnerModel). These would allow developers to begin using Pivot components without needing to rewrite all of their application internals.

What do you think? Would such features be useful to a Swing developer? Might they help convince developers to consider moving applications from Swing to Pivot?

Thanks for your feedback,
Greg

Re: [RFC] Swing interop features

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.
 Hi Chris

What components in particular, are you missing?

-- Noel

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> I appreciate the benefits making Pivot more accessible to Swing developers,
> but don't have the experience with the theme/L&F side of Pivot to be
> understand the effort involved.  If you feel it is doable without adding a
> lot of additional complexity or maintenance issues, then I don't see the
> harm.

I believe it can be done without introducing any additional complexity to the platform itself (in fact, it could even be a separate project). I'm just trying to get a sense for whether or not it is worth doing, since it could be pretty time-consuming. If I heard from existing Swing developers that these features would strongly influence their decision to consider moving to Pivot, I would probably prioritize it higher than some of the other items I'm currently working on. Otherwise, I may just file it as a nice-to-have for now.

Re: [RFC] Swing interop features

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> A crazy idea: and try to use existing Swing components with Pivot
> wrappers (Scala Swing seems to do something like this ... Ok, complex
> but powerful, and with the benefit to have the original L&F) ...

That's certainly possible too. A Pivot theme could (theoretically) be created that uses Swing UI delegates under the hood.

> my fear is to try to implement something that will be complex to
> mantain (L&F fidelity with Swing) and that could not port too much
> users to Pivot ... but here none has the answer ...

Again, the idea would be to simply delegate to the existing Terra skin classes, so there shouldn't be much to maintain once the general approach is established.

> And to finish only few small things:
> - to solve font problems as seen by Noel, what do you think on adding
> to the Skin json definition file (containing skin colors and other
> settings) also a list of alternate fonts/dimensions to use (and maybe
> also a way to specify "use native font and dimension") ? I'm already
> working on this for other features for the 2.0.

I think the alternate font list makes sense. I'm not sure about trying to match the native font. Like Flex and Silverlight (as well as JavaFX), Pivot defines its own (cross-platform) look and feel. It doesn't attempt to emulate or match the native L&F because there are too many other issues with that approach.

> - to improve a Swing-like L&F, what do you think on a new Terra's
> theme json configuration file containing Swing colors (and fonts, etc)
> ? Simple to do and could give a similar appearance ... and also this
> for the 2.0.

That is not a bad idea. Actually, I am wondering if it might be possible to create a sort of "adaptive" version of Terra that could dynamically generate its color palette from the current Swing default L&F...

Re: [RFC] Swing interop features

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi to all,

> Yeah, writing a L&F is not a trivial task. But it is doable, and may be worthwhile if it helps attract new developers.
with the architecture of Pivot an additional skin for this could be a
good solution.
A crazy idea: and try to use existing Swing components with Pivot
wrappers (Scala Swing seems to do something like this ... Ok, complex
but powerful, and with the benefit to have the original L&F) ...
Comments ?

> My primary goal in improving Swing support is to give developers another reason to consider Pivot over JavaFX, which apparently doesn't provide any migration path from Swing. Swing developers constitute a large percentage of Pivot's target audience, so making it easier for them to switch to Pivot seems like a good idea.
my fear is to try to implement something that will be complex to
mantain (L&F fidelity with Swing) and that could not port too much
users to Pivot ... but here none has the answer ...
Probably Pivot is more interesting than JavaFX for Java/Swing users
requiring not-so-graphics-stuff in their application, so why not try ?

And to finish only few small things:
- to solve font problems as seen by Noel, what do you think on adding
to the Skin json definition file (containing skin colors and other
settings) also a list of alternate fonts/dimensions to use (and maybe
also a way to specify "use native font and dimension") ? I'm already
working on this for other features for the 2.0.
- to improve a Swing-like L&F, what do you think on a new Terra's
theme json configuration file containing Swing colors (and fonts, etc)
? Simple to do and could give a similar appearance ... and also this
for the 2.0.

Bye,
Sandro

RE: [RFC] Swing interop features

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi to all,

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.
 Hi

I think the idea of adapter classes for Swing model data would be somewhat useful, but most Swing programmers don't seem
to bother to actually implement these interfaces themselves.

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.
 Hi