Posted to scm@geronimo.apache.org by ge...@incubator.apache.org on 2004/09/08 16:57:13 UTC

[Apache Geronimo Wiki] New: HiveMind

   Date: 2004-09-08T07:57:13
   Editor: EkiBaskoro <ek...@sonet.net.au>
   Wiki: Apache Geronimo Wiki
   Page: HiveMind

   no comment

New Page:

= Overview =

HiveMind is a service and configuration microkernel:

 * Services: HiveMind services are POJOs (Plain Old Java Objects) that can be easily accessed and combined. Each service defines a Java interface it implements. It takes care of instantiating and configuring each service just as necessary. HiveMind lets services collaborate with each other via dependency injection.

 * Configuration: It allows you to provide complex configuration data to your services in a format you define. It will integrate the contributions of such data from multiple modules and convert it all into data objects for you. HiveMind configurations allow for powerful, data-driven solutions which combine seemlessly with the service architecture.

 * Microkernel: It is a framework for creating applications, not an application, or even an application server, itself. The 'core' of HiveMind is the startup logic that knows how to parse and understand the module deployment descriptors, and use that information to instantiate and initialize all those services and configurations.

In HiveMind, a service is an implementation of a Java interface. Unlike other SOAs (Service Oriented Architectures, such as a SOAP, or EJBs), HiveMind is explicitly about combining Java code within a single JVM. HiveMind uses a descriptor to describe different services, their lifecycles, and how they are combined. HiveMind takes care of thread-safe, just-in-time creation of singleton service objects so your code doesn't have to.

= See Also =

HiveMind at ASF [http://jakarta.apache.org/hivemind/]

Re: [Apache Geronimo Wiki] New: HiveMind

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Sep 8, 2004, at 11:21 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> geronimo-cvs@incubator.apache.org wrote:
>>    Date: 2004-09-08T07:57:13
>>    Editor: EkiBaskoro <ek...@sonet.net.au>
>>    Wiki: Apache Geronimo Wiki
>>    Page: HiveMind
>
> I'm wondering what's the reason to include information on HiveMind on
> Geronimo Wiki? Should the pages be at Geronimo Wiki or ask EkiBaskoro
> to remove them (or at least show how the pages relate to Geronimo)?

+1 to move it to some other wiki (it doesn't belong here)

-dain

Re: [Apache Geronimo Wiki] New: HiveMind

Posted by ek...@sonet.net.au.
G'Day,

Yeah, you're right there...
Should have put an external link instead.

Regards,

Eki

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.