Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Christian Kristukat <ck...@hoc.net> on 2006/07/12 02:46:15 UTC

svn diffs by word

Hi,
is it possible to tell svn that it should do diffs by word and not by line?
Either using an editor with or without word wrap, if you change one single word
in a paragraph, the whole paragraph is marked as 'changed'. You will hardly find
what has changed.
Regards, Christian

Re: svn diffs by word

Posted by Christian Kristukat <ck...@hoc.net>.
Blair Zajac <blair <at> orcaware.com> writes:

> > The internal diff is line-based, but with the right configuration, you
> > can use your own diff tools. (see --diff-cmd command line switch.)
>
> The wdiff program does word based diffs and as Erik suggested, pass it's path
> to the --diff-cmd command line option.

Thanks, Eric and Blair. That's what I was looking for.
Christian

Re: svn diffs by word

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> On 7/12/06, Christian Kristukat <ck...@hoc.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> is it possible to tell svn that it should do diffs by word and not by
>> line?
>> Either using an editor with or without word wrap, if you change one
>> single word
>> in a paragraph, the whole paragraph is marked as 'changed'. You will
>> hardly find
>> what has changed.
>
> The internal diff is line-based, but with the right configuration, you
> can use your own diff tools. (see --diff-cmd command line switch.)

The wdiff program does word based diffs and as Erik suggested, pass it's path to
the --diff-cmd command line option.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: svn diffs by word

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 7/12/06, Christian Kristukat <ck...@hoc.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> is it possible to tell svn that it should do diffs by word and not by line?
> Either using an editor with or without word wrap, if you change one single word
> in a paragraph, the whole paragraph is marked as 'changed'. You will hardly find
> what has changed.

The internal diff is line-based, but with the right configuration, you
can use your own diff tools. (see --diff-cmd command line switch.)

bye,

Erik.