Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by ILLL Copyright <il...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/23 11:30:53 UTC

IPR PERMISSION

Please find the attachment.

Re: IPR PERMISSION

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 11/07/2012 04:15 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The Institute of Lifelong Learning of the University of Delhi is asking
>>> us for permission to use materials mostly available at the old
>>> OpenOffice wiki.
>>>
>>> The attachment is now available at:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~pj/Reference%20N1.pdf
>>>
>>> NOTE: Item 7 refers to an image available
>>> http://www.openofficetips.com/. I would think that page not affiliated
>>> with AOO.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> I think the majority of these items come from the OpenOffice 3.3 User
>> Guide(s) which is dual licensed with GNU Public License, ver 3 , or Creative
>> Commons Attribution License, ver 3. In either case, I think using the
>> graphic elements are fine and in compliance with these licenses. Several
>> contributing authors are on this list, however, and they may wish to comment
>> as well.
>
> All we can really do is point to the license if we can determine what it is.

The Copyright/license is on the 2nd page of the User Guide(s).

http://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/3/32/0100GS33-GettingStartedOOo33.pdf

  I don't have the original message so I can't respond directly. But, if
someone else could do this, that would be great.

(the links in original message,
http://people.apache.org/~pj/Reference%20N1.pdf, were kind of a
short-hand, so it too me a bit to track down this down)

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "You're not going to believe car are you?"
>>              -- Dave Harken (Kevin Spacey) "Horrible Bosses"

MzK

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world
  she wants, rather than to create it herself?”
                                             -- Anais Nin

Re: IPR PERMISSION

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 11/8/2012 8:15 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The Institute of Lifelong Learning of the University of Delhi is asking
>>> us for permission to use materials mostly available at the old
>>> OpenOffice wiki.
>>>
>>> The attachment is now available at:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~pj/Reference%20N1.pdf
>>>
>>> NOTE: Item 7 refers to an image available
>>> http://www.openofficetips.com/. I would think that page not affiliated
>>> with AOO.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> I think the majority of these items come from the OpenOffice 3.3 User
>> Guide(s) which is dual licensed with GNU Public License, ver 3 , or Creative
>> Commons Attribution License, ver 3. In either case, I think using the
>> graphic elements are fine and in compliance with these licenses. Several
>> contributing authors are on this list, however, and they may wish to comment
>> as well.
>
> All we can really do is point to the license if we can determine what it is.

Exactly.

And, from my point of view at least half of the referred items would not
cause any IPR issue (at least it's like that in Germany) because they're
simple screen shots which everyone can reproduce within seconds so they
lack of a threshold of originality.

Peter

Re: IPR PERMISSION

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: IPR PERMISSION

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: IPR PERMISSION

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
Dear Sumanyu Satpathy,

IPR is always a bit difficult, please note that I'm not a lawyer and I
cannot give any guarantee that what I'm saying below is correct.

I cannot grant the permissions that you are asking for but that doesn't
even seem necessary. All the items that you are referring to (except
item 7, see below) already come with a license. As far as I can see
there are five different ones:
1) Public Documentation License (www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.rtf)
2) Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)
3) Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/)
4) GNU General Public License (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)
5) Apache License, Version 2.0 (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0)

As far as I can see it, all these licenses will allow you to use the
images that you are referring to in the way you are asking them to use.
You just have to make sure that you are following the license terms. The
most important points that needs to be considered with some of these
licenses are 1) that you need to attribute the materials that you are
reusing by author, licensor or source without suggesting that the IPR
owner is endorsing your work and 2) you need to share the materials
yourself under the same license. (As said above, these are only two
important aspects and they may not apply to all the materials that you
are referring.)

Please note, the source (http://www.openofficetips.com/) of item 7 is
not affiliated with Apache OpenOffice. You will certainly find a similar
image on the OpenOffice website if you look for it.

In general I can say that I'm really appreciating efforts like yours and
I guess a large majority of the AOO community shares my opinion.

Kindest regards,
Peter

Re: IPR PERMISSION

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.

Re: IPR PERMISSION

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 11/5/12, Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org> wrote:
> Rob, *,
>
> On 10/29/2012 8:08 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>
>> wrote:

> [..]

>>> It already worked half way. I prefer to help people to help themselves.
>>> That
>>> makes it easier for them to come back later, standing on their own feet.
>>>

>> Do you really think that we'll hear from them again?  Even if the same
>> company needed permission from us again (unlikely) the chances are
>> that we'd get a request from a different employee.  Taking time to
>> explain the technical limitations of our mailing list to a random
>> office worker is not an investment that will ever pay off.
>
> Yes, I do. It's no company but a academic research center is contacting
> us. They want to use materials about Calc for their courses. It's not
> unlikely that a similar request about Writer will follow. The requester
> is not a random office worker but a director of that institute.
>

>> All that is happening is we're delaying getting this request to the
>> party that actually has the authority to grant permission, namely V.P.
>> isn't the easiest resolution to ask them to forward their request to
>> trademarks@ ???
>
> I don't think the request is time critical. Otherwise, I would certainly
> have taken action before. The request is also not about using the
> OpenOffice trademark, but about reusing materials from the old wiki for
> curricula. That should already been licensed under Creative Commons or
> similar. I don't think trademarks@ need to be involved.
>
> However, you seem right in this case that things sometimes don't work. I
> want to upload the PDF to a web space so I can send a link to the list.
> Does Apache have a public FTP server where one may put such documents?

i would expect the insititute having a webspace on their own to upload
files or materials.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: IPR PERMISSION

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 11/6/2012 12:04 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org> wrote:
>> Rob, *,

>> [..]

>>> Do you really think that we'll hear from them again?  Even if the same
>>> company needed permission from us again (unlikely) the chances are
>>> that we'd get a request from a different employee.  Taking time to
>>> explain the technical limitations of our mailing list to a random
>>> office worker is not an investment that will ever pay off.
>>

>> Yes, I do. It's no company but a academic research center is contacting us.
>> They want to use materials about Calc for their courses. It's not unlikely
>> that a similar request about Writer will follow. The requester is not a
>> random office worker but a director of that institute.
>>

>>> All that is happening is we're delaying getting this request to the
>>> party that actually has the authority to grant permission, namely V.P.
>>> isn't the easiest resolution to ask them to forward their request to
>>> trademarks@ ???
>>

>> I don't think the request is time critical. Otherwise, I would certainly
>> have taken action before. The request is also not about using the OpenOffice
>> trademark, but about reusing materials from the old wiki for curricula. That
>> should already been licensed under Creative Commons or similar. I don't
>> think trademarks@ need to be involved.
>>
>> However, you seem right in this case that things sometimes don't work. I
>> want to upload the PDF to a web space so I can send a link to the list. Does
>> Apache have a public FTP server where one may put such documents?
>>

> If you have the PDF you could put it on your people.apache.org
> directory.  All committers have this ability.
>
> You need to use scp to get the file uploaded.  You can create a
> public_html directory and put the PDF there.
>
> See:  http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html#personal-web-space

That did the trick. Thanks! :-)

Peter

Re: IPR PERMISSION