Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Baiss Eric Magnusson <ba...@mac.com> on 2004/07/11 03:03:53 UTC

Get past Axis logging problem

Can anyone think of a way to get past the logging problems I am having
with Axis?

I get a NoClassDefError on the following line
	private static Log log = LogFactory.getLog(
BasicHandler.class.getName() );
of BasicHandler.java

I have determined that Axis will not read <log4j.properties> on my
server no matter where I put the file, nor does it say it is failing to
read it, but maybe that's by design.

I think if I could just get past the logging error that the service
would run.

I have tried with both straight calls to Axis and calls using Apple's
WOWebService package, both methods end up at the same error.

I'm about at the point where I think it cannot be fixed with MacOSXS
10.2, for some reason there must be a reason
Axis requires 10.3, because that is what is on my development machine
and the WebService call works fine in that environment.
----
Baiss Eric Magnusson
<http://www.Track-Your-Finances.com>
<http://www.CascadeWebDesign.com>

Re: AhHa(some progress): Get past Axis logging problem

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
i don't see any problems in the traces...make sure you point your
browser to the happyaxis.jsp to check if that reports any problems.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Baiss Eric Magnusson <ba...@mac.com>.
Hello Davanum ,

----

Re: Get past Axis logging problem

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Nall <jo...@nall.com>.

Posted by Baiss Eric Magnusson <ba...@mac.com>.
Hello Joe,

Thanks for your suggestion, it is a valid debugging step.
I did as you suggested and got the correct result below, I believe the
<!> is there because I had embedded the <log4j.properties> into
<axis.jar> based upon an earlier suggestion. The error remains the same
as before.

> URL url =
> this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResource("log4j.properties");

	url->  jar:file:/Library/Java/Extensions/axis.jar!/log4j.properties

All the files are in the same correct directory, they all have the same
permissions
	-rw-r--r--
They are in group <Admin>.
The parts of Axis I have are identical on both my development machine,
where Axis runs correctly; and the server, where it doesn't.

----

Posted by Joe Nall <jo...@nall.com>.

Posted by Baiss Eric Magnusson <ba...@mac.com>.
Hello Davanum,

Here's the stack trace from my version using WOWebServices, which is my
preferred way of trying to call the service, the original code ended up
in the same error location.

I have downloaded the source to look at, and made it into an XCode
project, but I have only briefly tried to build it with that IDE, and
the results did not look pretty.

NoClassDefFoundError in stockQuoteWO java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
         at
org.apache.axis.handlers.BasicHandler.<clinit>(BasicHandler.java:43)
         at
org.apache.axis.client.Service.getAxisClient(Service.java:104)
         at org.apache.axis.client.Service.<init>(Service.java:146)
         at
org.apache.axis.client.ServiceFactory.createService(ServiceFactory.java:
194)
         at
com.webobjects.webservices.client.WOWebService.axisService(WOWebService.
java:185)
         at _Utilities.stockQuoteWO(_Utilities.java:52)
         at ReviewTrans.stockRecentEnough(ReviewTrans.java:417)
         at ReviewTrans.updateCurValue(ReviewTrans.java:434)
         at ReviewTrans.doAmountSums(ReviewTrans.java:464)
         at ReviewTrans.doInvestments(ReviewTrans.java:636)
         at
a:39)
         at
Impl.java:25)
         at
KeyValueCodingProtectedAccessor.methodValue(KeyValueCodingProtectedAcces
sor.java:54)
         at
com.webobjects.foundation.NSKeyValueCoding$_MethodBinding.valueInObject(
NSKeyValueCoding.java:1160)
         at
com.webobjects.foundation.NSKeyValueCoding$DefaultImplementation.valueFo
rKey(NSKeyValueCoding.java:1268)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver.WOComponent.valueForKey(WOComponent.java:1544)
         at
com.webobjects.foundation.NSKeyValueCoding$Utility.valueForKey(NSKeyValu
eCoding.java:498)
         at
com.webobjects.foundation.NSKeyValueCodingAdditions$DefaultImplementatio
n.valueForKeyPath(NSKeyValueCodingAdditions.java:212)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver.WOComponent.valueForKeyPath(WOComponent.java:
1605)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOKeyValueAssociation.valueInComponent
(WOKeyValueAssociation.java:46)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOSubmitButton.invokeAction(WOSubmitBu
tton.java:59)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WODynamicGroup.invokeChildrenAction(WO
DynamicGroup.java:101)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WODynamicGroup.invokeAction(WODynamicG
roup.java:110)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOForm.invokeAction(WOForm.java:82)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WODynamicGroup.invokeChildrenAction(WO
DynamicGroup.java:101)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WODynamicGroup.invokeAction(WODynamicG
roup.java:110)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOHTMLURLValuedElement.invokeAction(WO
HTMLURLValuedElement.java:115)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WODynamicGroup.invokeChildrenAction(WO
DynamicGroup.java:101)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WODynamicGroup.invokeAction(WODynamicG
roup.java:110)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver.WOComponent.invokeAction(WOComponent.java:950)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver.WOSession.invokeAction(WOSession.java:1136)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication.invokeAction(WOApplication.java:
1316)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOComponentRequestHandler._dispatchWit
hPreparedPage(WOComponentRequestHandler.java:196)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOComponentRequestHandler._dispatchWit
hPreparedSession(WOComponentRequestHandler.java:287)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOComponentRequestHandler._dispatchWit
hPreparedApplication(WOComponentRequestHandler.java:322)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOComponentRequestHandler._handleReque
st(WOComponentRequestHandler.java:358)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOComponentRequestHandler.handleReques
t(WOComponentRequestHandler.java:432)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication.dispatchRequest(WOApplication.jav
a:1247)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOWorkerThread.runOnce(WOWorkerThread.
java:167)
         at
com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOWorkerThread.run(WOWorkerThread.java
:248)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:554)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Baiss Eric Magnusson <ba...@mac.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Baiss Eric Magnusson <ba...@mac.com>.
Since I am using 10.2 server I am stuck with Java 1.4.1 ( after a lot
of browsing it seems that it is not possible to install 1.4.2 on
Jaguar), and that is the problem I believe I need to try to work
around. At this point I have become increasingly pessimistic about
being able to work around it.

----