Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2017/01/01 18:19:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] Separate release of storage-api

Hi all,
   As we discussed back in
https://mid.mail-archive.com/dev@hive.apache.org/msg121112.html . I'd like
to make a release of storage-api. I've written up a proposal at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Storage+API+Release+Proposal
and the patch for HIVE-15419 is pretty close. Once HIVE-15419 is committed,
I'd like to cut a branch (eg storage-branch-2.2) and make a release
candidate (eg. storage-release-2.2.0rc0).

Any concerns?

Thanks,
   Owen

Re: [DISCUSS] Separate release of storage-api

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>
wrote:

> Would it simplify the cross-project commit process if we actually always
> depended on the snapshot on master/etc., and only switched to a particular
> version of storage-api in release branches?

That was the intent in my proposal. The master branch and related
development branches would use a snapshot release that was built as part of
the hive build. See the pull request on HIVE-15419 for what it will look
like.

If there are unreleased
> storage-api changes when Hive is being released that are needed for the
> release, they’d be released all together just before the Hive release, if
> needed.

The two major drivers of storage-api releases are going to be wanting to
release either ORC or Hive.

.. Owen

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
Would it simplify the cross-project commit process if we actually always
depended on the snapshot on master/etc., and only switched to a particular
version of storage-api in release branches? If there are unreleased

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.
+1
I agree that using an independent version number for this release is the
better option.
Regarding the mapping, I see it like a dependency on a third party library.
Its based on what is in the pom.xml .

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
There was also the wiki page that I put together that was discusses on jira.

proposal:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Storage+API+Release+Proposal
discussion on jira: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-15419

.. Owen