Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Bart van der Ouderaa <ba...@masterobjects.com> on 2005/09/07 15:02:53 UTC

OT sun jvm licenses (was: Re: com.sun.net.ssl Error)

Hi all,

To explain this (as far as i understand):

Sun only makes implementations for windows, linux (but only since i
think 1.4) and solaris.

To be certified as a java vm you have to pass a testkit (aka your
implementation has to be certified). To pass this test you need an
expensive license to get access (you also get access to the source of
the sun vm) . Current licensees include Apple (for macos ), IBM
(linux versions, windows (because they don't trust sun to be fast
enough on the bugfixes), AIX, Z/OS), HP (HP-UX, OPEN VMS) and others.

Most open source implementations have not passed the testkit (they
can't since they have no access to it), nor are certified as java vms.

Linux had two "blessed" implementations until sun did their own, and
that was the IBM version and the "blackdown" version. The last one
was a group that got access through a licensee to the code (don't
know which one).

sun recently changed the license terms to make it more easy for open
source groups to gain certification and access to the testkit
(although you still need to buy an expensive license to get access to
the jvm code). Apache was one of the groups that got access this way
(initially for the j2ee license because of Tomcat, but now also used
for geronimo). Harmony may be the first OS implementation that could
pass the testkit.

I think at the moment only Apache conforms to the terms to get
access. All the gnu implementations (Kaffe, GCJ etc.) still don't
qualify.

Basically unless you are a part of the Apache group, you can't
implement a JVM and say it's a JVM unless you pay Sun.

Bart van der Ouderaa

MasterObjects
Reigerskamp 393
3607 HX  Maarssen
The Netherlands

Phone +31 (0) 346 285 134
Fax +31 (0) 346 285 754
Mobile +31 (0) 653 707 570
http://www.masterobjects.com
bart.van.der.ouderaa@masterobjects.com

Op 7-sep-2005, om 14:39 heeft Sébastien LE CALLONNEC het volgende
geschreven: