Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Nicholas Irving <ni...@darkedges.com> on 2006/01/15 00:31:54 UTC

Geronimo - Tomcat and Valve Development

Hi All

I am trying to write a simple Interceptor, reads Headers from requests and
setups info in the Users Session, and I believe a Valve is the way to go and
since my final app server is going to be Geronimo with TomCat I would like
to know Where exactly is the best place to discuss Tomcat Valve development
for Geronimo?

Nicholas Irving

nirving@darkedges.com

Re: Geronimo - Tomcat and Valve Development

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jan 14, 2006, at 3:31 PM, Nicholas Irving wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am trying to write a simple Interceptor, reads Headers from
> requests and setups info in the Users Session, and I believe a
> Valve is the way to go and since my final app server is going to be
> Geronimo with TomCat I would like to know Where exactly is the best
> place to discuss Tomcat Valve development for Geronimo?

This list is fine.  A normal tomcat valve should work fine in
geronimo.  IIUC to get your application to use one or more valves you
set up a valve chain using gbean instances (there is an example in
the configs/tomcat/src/plan/plan.xml) and refer to it with a valve-
chain element in a tomcat specific plan (using the http://
geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web/tomcat-1.0 namespace, the
geronimo-tomcat-1.0.xsd schema) or a tomcat config inside a generic
plan (the tomcat config is in the http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/
web/tomcat/config-1.0 namespace, the geronimo-tomcat-config-1.0.xsd
schema).

If this doesn't help enough you may need to wait for jeff
genender :-).  Asking on IRC may also work.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Nicholas Irving <ni...@darkedges.com>.
Hi
The only problem I see with that approach is that you have to deploy it via
an EAR or WAR and it will get executed later in the chain of request rather
than earlier. A valve seems to be the only way to go forward for my idea,
unless I am proven wrong when I try it out.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.