Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thomas Zastrow <th...@uni-tuebingen.de> on 2009/11/26 14:26:24 UTC

Logging to one file

Hello,

I'm new to this list and I have a simple question.

I activated the Aapche-HTTPD-style logging in Tomcat 6 with the line

directory="logs" prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".log"
pattern="combined" resolveHosts="true"/>

in the server.xml. It works fine, but Tomcat creates every day a new log
file. I was wondering, if there is a possibility to write all the
logging information to one big file instead of creating every day a new
file? As far as I read in the documentation, this seems to be not possible?

Thank you ver much!

Best,

Tom

--
Thomas Zastrow
Seminar fuer Sprachwissenschaft

Wilhelm Str. 19
D-72074 Tuebingen

http://www.thomas-zastrow.de

Tel.: 07071/29-73968
Fax: 07071/29-5214

Re: Logging to one file

Posted by Thomas Zastrow <th...@uni-tuebingen.de>.
Pid schrieb:
> On 26/11/2009 13:26, Thomas Zastrow wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm new to this list and I have a simple question.
>>
>> I activated the Aapche-HTTPD-style logging in Tomcat 6 with the line
>>
>> <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
>> directory="logs" prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".log"
>> pattern="combined" resolveHosts="true"/>
>>
>> in the server.xml. It works fine, but Tomcat creates every day a new log
>> file. I was wondering, if there is a possibility to write all the
>> logging information to one big file instead of creating every day a new
>> file? As far as I read in the documentation, this seems to be not
>> possible?
>
>  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html
>
> Really?  "rotatable" seems to do what you want it to,
> "fileDateFormat" may also be useful.

Thank you very much, indeed, "rotatable" was the solution, I didn't
understood it at first.

Best,

Tom

Re: Logging to one file