Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com> on 2009/08/01 00:47:27 UTC

Recommendation for how to handle workspace with "processing" contributions

While I have been working on Ofbiz for a while, I have not made a good enough
effort to contribute back bug fixes and enhancements that I feel would be
valuable to the product.  I have started to do this, but I have a question
about how people handle their workspace while they are waiting for
contributions to be approved/rejected.

I have created a few JIRAs and attached patch files to them for my changes.
However, as I do more and more work I end up with more and more changes in
my workspace that are updated.  It will ultimately become very difficult to
determine which files I should include in the next patch; moreover I may
result in dependencies.

Does any non-contributor (or contributor for that matter) have a suggestion
on how to manage this?  I am thinking about using Mylyn and the JIRA
integration to relate the files.  This does not help the patch generation

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Re: Recommendation for how to handle workspace with "processing" contributions

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Yeah - I totally feel you on that.  What I do is remove the changed
files from that ofbiz-trunk and put them back to the trunk versions
while I'm working on a different set of code.  The only time that you
get in a real pickle is when you have multiple commits that cross
files and at that point - it's difficult no matter what you do.

The ideas that you're bringing to the community all seem pretty sound,
so my guess is that you won't have too much resistance making the
changes and then getting them into the project.  Since you're doing
most of your testing on your project specific code bases - those are
the ones where the patches and how they interrelate, becomes the most
important.

Anyways, not sure if that was helpful, but that's how I keep it
clean.  That being said, I'm not nearly as active coding as I have
been in the past, so guys like David, Andrew, Anil, Jacopo, Scott,
Adam, Hans, Ashish, Vikas, etc may be able to shed a bit more light on
the subject than I can at the moment.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Posted by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I've always kept a clean ofbiz-trunk with changes in them - which is
where I create the patches from.  Then in the individual projects that
I'm working on, I maintain a set of patches that I must apply to the
framework/applications area at least until the trunk gets updated with
my patches.  Then I've got the best of both worlds - the separate
download where I maintain and build my patches as well as my project
specific place where I wouldn't be creating my patches from.

Hope that helps - and if you have any other questions on exceptions to
this rule, please feel free to ask some more Q's.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert