Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Chappell, Simon P" <Si...@landsend.com> on 2004/03/01 23:27:50 UTC

Life, the Universe and Everything (was: RE: [OT] RE: Memory usage)

While the original flame war was less helpful, the question that has emerged from it's ashes is a good one. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I can offer some personal observations. Feel free to disagree.

1. You can do nothing about those who choose not to learn. I've tried changing them and it doesn't work. I consider this a basic fact.

2. You have a great deal of control over your ability to learn. If you aren't big time into learning, then I recommend catching some enthusiasm for it.

3. There will be always be good and bad tech leads. I am a tech lead; I try to be a good one. I can put a String to standard out or standard error! ;-)

4. I had the same frustrations that you have. I made the decision that the best way to restore the balance of good in the universe, was to try to become the kind of tech lead that I would have wanted when I was a newbie/humble grunt. I teach a class on learning Java one lunchtime a week and try to bestow a little wisdom and encouragement whenever I can. I am a Java mentor here and I lead a study group of us that are seeking our Java Certification.

5. No one reads documentation. This is a fact. Learn what is "drop dead fired and escorted from the building" important and then try to auto-generate it. :-)

6. Leadership is a rare commodity. There's a lot of management out there, but precious little leadership. Again, deal with it. Become a leader and just do what needs to be done. This is what I have tended to do. The ol' saying about "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" is very true (except I sometimes forget to ask for forgiveness! :-)

7. Black team? How 90's, Our team wears Hawaiian shirts! (Honest. :-)

Simon

Re: Life, the Universe and Everything (was: RE: [OT] RE: Memory usage)

Posted by Shyam A <st...@yahoo.com>.
+1

"On action alone be thy interest,
Never on its fruits.
Let not the fruits of action be thy motive,
Nor be thy attachment to inaction."

- Bhagavad Gita (250 BC - 250 AD), Chapter 2

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/8487868.cms

Posted by atta-ur rehman <at...@numetrics.com>.
+1

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@baseBeans.com>.

+1
.V

Re: Life, the Universe and Everything (was: RE: [OT] RE: Memory usage)

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
I just found that mozilla had put this complete thread in my spam
folder. Obviously mozilla's opinion on the content.

I found it interesting though.

Since we're talking about the quality of mailing lists, does anybody
know which the best JBoss list is? The forum and associated mailing list
at www.jboss.org is not up to the standard I'm used to at Jakarta. In
fact, I'm wondering whether there is an alternative at all actually.

Thanks
Adam

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian

Re: Life, the Universe and Everything (was: RE: [OT] RE: Memory usage)

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Interesting point about tech leads.. I agree wholeheartedly
I specifically have agree with "enthusiasm for learning new
technologies/methodologies"
I would also add "Must ensure product works on all client platforms"
You would be surprised how much software is shipped without any testing or
consideration
for the user's environment
~My 2 cents~
Martin Gainty