Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Brendan Haverlock <br...@mirthcorp.com> on 2009/05/28 00:40:11 UTC

Best way to launch felix from maven

Hi all,

I was wondering what the best practice was for launching OSGI applications
from maven was.   I've been trying to launch applications by using say the
easybeans felix launcher and calling that plugin's goal from the run
configuration.  This has been giving me quite a bit of trouble, and I can't
really find ANY documentation on how people are launching their OSGI
applications in a maven environment.  Any insight, experiences, or best
practices would be much appreciated.  I also need to ensure that hot code
replace will work.

Thanks!

Brendan Haverlock

Re: Best way to launch felix from maven

Posted by Richard Wallace <rw...@thewallacepack.net>.
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/28 Richard Wallace <rw...@thewallacepack.net>
>
> Hi Rich,
>
> Pax runner is awesome!  You should definitely give it a look.  That
>> said, the only problem you might run into, which I've run into as well
>> and just haven't had the time to do anything about it, is that Pax
>> Runner will use its own internal mechanism to resolve bundles that are
>> maven dependencies and so won't use artifacts from the reactor.
>

> if you're using the maven based pax-plugin then it should be resolving
> artifacts in your reactor and passing them to the pax-runner launcher
>
> I've been meaning to either try and patch the pax:run mojo to fix that, or
>> wrap the pax:run goal in another plugin that does the resolution and
>> then hands off the resolved artifacts to pax runner.
>

> there's already a chunk of code in "pax:provision" (aliased to "pax:run")
> to check for bundles in the reactor and resolve them - you could try the
> latest 1.5-SNAPSHOT as there's been a few changes in that area

Sweet, I just tried it and it worked out really well.  Only one thing missing...

>> One day I may even clear up a few hours in which to do it.
>>

> or raise a JIRA issue at OPS4J explaining the problem, as it's probably a
> corner case of the current resolution algorithm and should be a quick fix

I raised issue PAXCONSTRUCT-113
<http://issues.ops4j.org/browse/PAXCONSTRUCT-113>, which is the only
thing preventing me from using it every day.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/5/29 Brendan Haverlock <br...@mirthcorp.com>

> Thanks Stefano,
>
> The only real solution that would work is [3], but that sucks that you have
> to use remote debugging.  Is there any known solution using maven and OSGi
> that allows for just in place debugging and hot code replacement? I don't
> care which launcher I have to use as long as I can achieve that.

you could try JavaRebel:
http://www.zeroturnaround.com/blog/javarebel-boosting-eclipse-plugin-development/

( you can give it a whirl for free to see if it works for your scenario, and
the pricing is reasonable if it does work )

Brendan Haverlock

 From my experience the best companion for hot code replacement and
debug in eclipse is pax-cursor [1] which is basically a front-end shaped
as eclipse-plugin for pax-runner [2]. Unfortunately, AFAIK there is no
integration between maven and pax-cursor.

Alternately, you may consider to use pax-construct (aka Maven Pax
Plugin) [3] which, by means of pax:provision (or pax:run) goal, inspect
the pom for starting an OSGi platform with all the required bundles. In
this way, you won't be able to use hot-code replacement neither
debugging, unless you instruct the Maven Pax Plugin to start the JVM
containing OSGi with the remote debugging option (i.e.: -Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005 [4]).

If you want you can look at the pom.xml of in all the upnp subproject
[5] as example of how to use the maven-pax-plugin.

[1] - pax-cursor - http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/ops4j/Pax+Cursor
[2] - pax-runner - http://paxrunner.ops4j.org/space/Pax+Runner
[3] - pax-construct -
http://www.ops4j.org/projects/pax/construct/maven-pax-plugin/index.html
[4] - FAQ 13 of pax-runner - http://paxrunner.ops4j.org/space/FAQ
[5] - UPnP Subproject - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/felix/trunk/upnp/

> Thank you!

You are welcome :)

> Brendan Haverlock

Ciao,
Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.
Brendan Haverlock wrote:
> I just installed the pax runner plugin in maven and got my "hello world"
> bundle starting.  Now, is there a way to debug and hot code replace with pax
> in eclipse?

 From my experience the best companion for hot code replacement and
debug in eclipse is pax-cursor [1] which is basically a front-end shaped
as eclipse-plugin for pax-runner [2]. Unfortunately, AFAIK there is no
integration between maven and pax-cursor.

Alternately, you may consider to use pax-construct (aka Maven Pax
Plugin) [3] which, by means of pax:provision (or pax:run) goal, inspect
the pom for starting an OSGi platform with all the required bundles. In
this way, you won't be able to use hot-code replacement neither
debugging, unless you instruct the Maven Pax Plugin to start the JVM
containing OSGi with the remote debugging option (i.e.: -Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005 [4]).

If you want you can look at the pom.xml of in all the upnp subproject
[5] as example of how to use the maven-pax-plugin.

[1] - pax-cursor - http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/ops4j/Pax+Cursor
[2] - pax-runner - http://paxrunner.ops4j.org/space/Pax+Runner
[3] - pax-construct -
http://www.ops4j.org/projects/pax/construct/maven-pax-plugin/index.html
[4] - FAQ 13 of pax-runner - http://paxrunner.ops4j.org/space/FAQ
[5] - UPnP Subproject - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/felix/trunk/upnp/

> Thank you!

You are welcome :)

> Brendan Haverlock

Ciao,
Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi

Posted by Richard Wallace <rw...@thewallacepack.net>.

Posted by Brendan Haverlock <br...@mirthcorp.com>.
Ahhhh, sorry...to clarify, I am running maven from eclipse and using the
maven eclipse plugin.  Pax looks useful, though.

Thanks,

Brendan Haverlock

Posted by Alin Dreghiciu <ad...@gmail.com>.
Look for maven pax plugin: