Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "TD - Sales International Holland B.V." <td...@salesint.com> on 2002/01/24 17:15:59 UTC

apachectl, restarting the server and pid file in alternate location ?BUG? hope this isn't some stupid mistake on my side...

Hey there,

I setup my apache server (compiled from source 1.3.22) to write it's pid file
in /var/run/httpd.pid.
Apache was compiled with the SSL module into it (thus NOT DSO) and with
--prefix=/usr/local/apache and some module options.
in /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf I have a line:
PidFile /var/run/httpd.pid
When I start apache like "apachectl start" the file gets created as it should
in /var/run/httpd.pid and the number in there is indeed the pid number of the
main process (the head process running as root, i don't know the official
name, not one of the forks running as apache anyways).

Now when I do
apachectl <command>
(tried stop and restart)
it says:
bin/apachectl stop: httpd (no pid file) not running
i'm executing the command from within the /usr/local/apache directory. Is
this a bug in apachectl it not reading the config file or something? I
checked the FAQ and found very useful info on securing n stuff, but didn't
see this in there.
apachectl configtest returns
Syntax OK
so I guess it knows where to find the config file.... I checked apachectl but
I didn't find an option to specify the path to the config file and seeing
that configtest returns Syntax OK I figure it knows where to find it and got
the path compiled in at compile time.

Kind regards,

Ferry van Steen