Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by "Thomson, Duncan" <du...@mitre.org> on 2018/12/11 00:59:02 UTC

[javadoc][maven]Code completion tools not finding javadocs for maven dependencies in Netbeans 8.2

I have created a Netbeans maven project, and added a dependency to an external library.  This works very well, the external code is downloaded automagically.  Yippee!

I have also downloaded the sources of the external project, and they include javadocs. That also works really well; if I go to the "Dependencies" section of my Netbeans project, and right click on one of the external libraries I depend on, and select "View JavaDoc", the IDE opens a browser on the Javadocs.  Very nice.

The only fly in the ointment is that the IDE code completion can't seem to find the javadocs.  If I'm in the source code editor, and invoke the source code completion feature, the IDE immediately pops up a code completion window and offers me all the methods of the associated object.  But when I select one of them, I see a message that indicates the Javadoc can't be found.  Hmmm....  You silly IDE, you must know how to find the Javadoc, because you just showed it to me!  (The javadocs are actually buried down in the maven repository, under ~/.m2)

Any suggestions on how to make this work smoothly?

(p.s. All the FAQs and help I've been able to find on this talks about adding javadocs for things like the JDK.  The tips all refer to adding javadocs for a library or a java platform.  Not sure either of these apply to my situation.  I don't see any mention of how to point the IDE at javadocs associated with a maven dependency.)

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Duncan