Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> on 2009/06/03 12:43:49 UTC

[c++][qmf]: allowing swig binding generation to be disabled

The swig generation of qmf bindings is not working for me (I believe the
version of swig I have is at least part of the problem). Unless there
are objections I'd like to apply the attached patch (or something
similar) to allow the generation of these bindings to be disabled if
desired.

--Gordon.

Re: [c++][qmf]: allowing swig binding generation to be disabled

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Ian Main wrote:
> I was meaning to look into the link error.. he shouldn't be having that
> problem.  I'm wondering if may be the build is linking with a version
> we have in the filesystem someplace? (eg /usr/lib/...).

I believe that might be fixed by the attached patch(?).

Re: [c++][qmf]: allowing swig binding generation to be disabled

Posted by Ian Main <im...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 08:21:24 -0400
Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Gordon Sim wrote:
> > Ted Ross wrote:

> >> Gordon,
> >>
> >> What version of swig do you have in your distribution?
> >
> > Its pretty old: 1.3.24
> >
> >>  How does it fail?
> >
> > swig -ruby -c++ -Wall -I/usr/include -I../../../src/qmf -I../../../src
> > -I../../../src/gen  -I../../../src/qmf -o qmfengine.cpp ./ruby.i
> > ./ruby.i:2: Error: Syntax error in input.
> > ../../../src/qmf/ObjectId.h:42: Warning(378): operator!= ignored
> > *** No module name specified using %module or -module.
> > make[2]: *** [qmfengine.cpp] Error 1
> >
> > If I remove the trackobjects line from ruby.i I see the warnings, but
> > the error goes away. However I then get a link error just after that.

Yes, %trackobjects requires 1.3.26 of swig.  I'm not entirely sure we need
%trackobjects however.  I think I just put it in there because it sounded
good. :)  We should require that rpm version for the build..

I was meaning to look into the link error.. he shouldn't be having that
problem.  I'm wondering if may be the build is linking with a version
we have in the filesystem someplace? (eg /usr/lib/...).

    Ian

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Ted Ross wrote:
> Ok.  It sounds like it's not worth pursuing.

Yes, that was my thinking also (I hope to upgrade fairly soon, but I've
been saying that for ages!).

> Your patch is good (except there's a typo in the help text).

Oops; fixed and checked in as r781358.

>  If --with-swig is not supplied, will
> it default to what is found?

Yes.

--Gordon.

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Ted Ross wrote:
>> Gordon Sim wrote:
>>> The swig generation of qmf bindings is not working for me (I believe
>>> the version of swig I have is at least part of the problem). Unless
>>> there are objections I'd like to apply the attached patch (or
>>> something similar) to allow the generation of these bindings to be
>>> disabled if desired.
>>>
>>> --Gordon.

>>> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org
>>> Use/Interact: mailto:dev-subscribe@qpid.apache.org
>> Gordon,
>>
>> What version of swig do you have in your distribution?
>
> Its pretty old: 1.3.24
>
>>  How does it fail?
>
> swig -ruby -c++ -Wall -I/usr/include -I../../../src/qmf -I../../../src
> -I../../../src/gen  -I../../../src/qmf -o qmfengine.cpp ./ruby.i
> ./ruby.i:2: Error: Syntax error in input.
> ../../../src/qmf/ObjectId.h:42: Warning(378): operator!= ignored
> *** No module name specified using %module or -module.
> make[2]: *** [qmfengine.cpp] Error 1
>
> If I remove the trackobjects line from ruby.i I see the warnings, but
> the error goes away. However I then get a link error just after that.

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Ok.  It sounds like it's not worth pursuing.  Your patch is good (except
there's a typo in the help text).  If --with-swig is not supplied, will
it default to what is found?

-Ted

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> The swig generation of qmf bindings is not working for me (I believe
> the version of swig I have is at least part of the problem). Unless
> there are objections I'd like to apply the attached patch (or
> something similar) to allow the generation of these bindings to be
> disabled if desired.
>
> --Gordon.

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org
Gordon,

What version of swig do you have in your distribution?  How does it fail?

-Ted