Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Noam Shanny <no...@wizcomtech.com> on 2011/09/06 14:10:50 UTC

Subversion exception

1.       I got this – hope it helps.
I’m using TortoiseSVN-1.7.0-RC1-x64-svn-1.7.0-dev on win7 x64 sp1.

2.       It would be better if such dialogs had textual content that can be copied & pasted and searched for in forums, instead of such a dialog that has to be screen-shot.

Cheers,

Noam Shanny

VP R&D

Wizcom Technologies Ltd.

Tel:  +972-3-9103330 Ext. 216

Fax: +972-3-9106660

Email: noams@wizcomtech.com <ma...@wizcomtech.com>

www.wizcomtech.com <http://www.wizcomtech.com/>

Re: TortoiseSVN Subversion Exception Dialog

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 08:24:07PM +0200, Stefan Küng wrote:
> >>Second, this is ALREADY a built-in feature of Windows which isn't
> >>advertised, so there is no need for such a request to be made. With
> >>the dialog active, hit CTRL-C. The text of the whole thing will be
> >>copied to your clipboard. Then paste it wherever you need it.
> >
> >(cc'ing Stefan Küng)
> >
> >It would be great if TortoiseSVN explained this in the dialog text.
> >It could also ask people not to send screenshots to the list.
> >Would this be possible?
>
> Added hint about Ctrl-C in r21949.

Cheers!

> But the text is already quite long, so I haven't mentioned anything
> about screenshots on the list - I think that should be best
> mentioned on the web page where the mailing lists are mentioned.

Works for me. I'll add a note there.

Re: TortoiseSVN Subversion Exception Dialog

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.
On 06.09.2011 15:57, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 09:10:24AM -0400, Andy Levy wrote:
>>> 2. It would be better if such dialogs had textual content that
>>> can be copied&  pasted and searched for in forums, instead of
>>> such a dialog that has to be screen-shot.
>> Second, this is ALREADY a built-in feature of Windows which isn't
>> advertised, so there is no need for such a request to be made. With
>> the dialog active, hit CTRL-C. The text of the whole thing will be
>> copied to your clipboard. Then paste it wherever you need it.
>
> (cc'ing Stefan Küng)
>
> It would be great if TortoiseSVN explained this in the dialog text.
> It could also ask people not to send screenshots to the list.
> Would this be possible?

Added hint about Ctrl-C in r21949.
But the text is already quite long, so I haven't mentioned anything
about screenshots on the list - I think that should be best mentioned on
the web page where the mailing lists are mentioned.

Stefan

--
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

TortoiseSVN Subversion Exception Dialog (was: Re: Subversion exception)

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Re: Subversion exception

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 09:25, Hyrum K Wright <hy...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 08:10, Noam Shanny <no...@wizcomtech.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1.       I got this – hope it helps.
>>> I’m using TortoiseSVN-1.7.0-RC1-x64-svn-1.7.0-dev on win7 x64 sp1.
>>>

>>> 2.       It would be better if such dialogs had textual content that can be copied & pasted and searched for in forums, instead of such a dialog that has to be screen-shot.
>>>

>> First, TortoiseSVN has its own mailing list where you would report
>> such a request.
>
> Well, the dialog does say to come to users@subversion.apache.org.... :)

I was referring to a request to enhance the dialog itself, but such a
request is moot due tot he copy/paste feature of Windows.

Re: Subversion exception

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@wandisco.com>.
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 08:10, Noam Shanny <no...@wizcomtech.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1.       I got this – hope it helps.
>> I’m using TortoiseSVN-1.7.0-RC1-x64-svn-1.7.0-dev on win7 x64 sp1.
>>

>> 2.       It would be better if such dialogs had textual content that can be copied & pasted and searched for in forums, instead of such a dialog that has to be screen-shot.
>>

> First, TortoiseSVN has its own mailing list where you would report
> such a request.

Well, the dialog does say to come to users@subversion.apache.org.... :)

However, such a bug report is much more useful here if distilled down
to a set of reproducible Subversion commands, rather than a single
TortoiseSVN screenshot.  The screenshot you included asked you to
report "as much information as possible about what you were trying to
do," but your bug report doesn't contain anything more than the
screenshot itself.

What action triggered the assertion?
What was the state of your working copy?
What is the expected outcome of your action?

The most useful information would be a reproduction recipe that others
could run to generate the failure.

-Hyrum

--

uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy