Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de> on 2004/08/20 20:58:45 UTC

[users@httpd] php4 and php5 together

Hi

I have the following urgend problem:

I need to use php4 AND php5 on the same apache2 installation on debian
sarge.
Until now, I had php5 running as module and no problems so far.

But now, I need to support ILIAS3, an php-based elearning plattform.
This does not support php5 so far.

What can I do? Is there a way to tell php5 to parse some files in
"compatibility mode"?
Or can I install php4 and php5 simultanously as modules?

If I install php5 as module and php4 as cgi, what will be the performance
implications?

To the text above, I got the answer at php-install mailing list, that there
should not be a problem running 2 phps as modules. Here is my answer /
question:

But my apache starts to log:

[Fri Aug 20 14:55:41 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.49 (Debian GNU/Linux)
mod_jk2/2.0.4 PHP/4.3.8 PHP/5.0.1 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Fri Aug 20 14:55:43 2004] [notice] child pid 21674 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11) [Fri Aug 20 14:55:44 2004] [notice] child pid 21676 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)

(segmentations faults appear for every php page request.)

What I don't understand: both php modules work, when they are used alone.
I have built both myself. Is there any option I need to set (other than
ini-dir and with-versioning)?

Further, I do not understand how apache2 selects, which php module to
invoke.
Appearantly
  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml tells apache that php should
be handled as "application/x-httpd-php".
But this refers to both, php4 and php5, doesn't it?

Any hint would be very appreciated, the service needs to run until next
Friday.

Regards,
  Steffen