Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch> on 2001/12/10 12:24:10 UTC

Re: [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80

Ronald Landheer wrote:

> httpd starts from /etc/init.d/httpd start - says OK and everything, but
> then dies with "[crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
> bind to port 80" left in the log (snipped the time & date). I have it

Usually this means you have an apache daemon which died but did not
release port 80. The kernel can't assign port 80 to another process. The
only sure way to clear it is with a reboot.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

RE: [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80

Posted by Ronald Landheer <ro...@minisat.com>.
>>> httpd starts from /etc/init.d/httpd start - says OK and everything,
>>> but then dies with "[crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock:
>>> could not bind to port 80" left in the log (snipped the time &
>>> date). I have it
>> Usually this means you have an apache daemon which died but did not
>> release port 80. The kernel can't assign port 80 to another process.
>> The only sure way to clear it is with a reboot.
> Sounds more likely that the httpd process *hasn't* quite died yet. On
> a Linux system, try "killall httpd" (as root) before starting the
> server.
Both of these thoughts turned up in my head as well: I tried the killall
httpd - it didn't work. I rebooted the server - didn't work either.
This is why I think it's so strange that starting httpd simply like
that, on the command line, doesn't produce any problems..

Here's my last test (note that httpd is running through the same way I
started it in this test)

# kill `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`
# killall httpd
http: no process killed
# /etc/init.d/httpd start
Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
# ps -A
-- httpd not listed --
# find /var -name '*http*' -print
/var/log/httpd
/var/cache/httpd
/var/lock/subsys/httpd
/var/run/httpd.mm.11079.sem
# rm -f /var/run/httpd.mm.11079.sem
# httpd
# ps -A
-- httpd listed eight times --

I just noted that I didn't delete /var/lock/subsys/httpd before trying
/etc/init.d/httpd start.. let's try that again..

# kill `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`
# killall httpd
httpd: no process killed
# find /var -name '*http*' -print
/var/log/httpd
/var/cache/httpd
/var/lock/subsys/httpd
# rm -f /var/lock/subsys/httpd
# /etc/init.d/httpd start
Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
# ps -A
-- httpd not listed --
# httpd
# ps -A
-- httpd listed eight times --

This does not make sense to me, but the fault must be in the
/etc/init.d/httpd script..

Greetz!

Ronald

Re: [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:24:10PM +0100, Owen Boyle wrote:
> Ronald Landheer wrote:
> >
> > httpd starts from /etc/init.d/httpd start - says OK and everything, but
> > then dies with "[crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
> > bind to port 80" left in the log (snipped the time & date). I have it
>
> Usually this means you have an apache daemon which died but did not
> release port 80. The kernel can't assign port 80 to another process. The
> only sure way to clear it is with a reboot.

Sounds more likely that the httpd process *hasn't* quite died yet. On a
Linux system, try "killall httpd" (as root) before starting the server.

joe