Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Belgarius <we...@dfxwebs.com> on 2002/03/01 23:34:42 UTC

SSI solution (1.3.23/Win32)

Greetings!

   After a few hours of reading the archives, and other docs available from
Apache, I was finally able to get past a problem that I was having here with
SSI's  It turns out that the problem lie in the way the include was added on
the page, and not with Apache handling SSI requests.  This particular page,
when loaded, would cause Apache to apparently "hang", and I would find an
instance of Notepad open in the task manager (close program dialog).  Once
this was closed locally, the page would load, but one SSI always returned an
error.  To make matters more perplexing, I use the same script on my pages,
and those worked just fine under Apache.  Further inspection turned this up.
Since my SSI was working, I compared it to the one that wasn't, and found
the problem.  I have no idea just *why* this particular include caused
problems, it worked fine under another server, but here's what it was.

My include:    <!--include virtual="/newspro/news.txt" -->
User include:  <!--include virtual="cgi/bin/newspro/news.txt" -->

   In my experimentation, I copied the users page, and changed his include
virtual to include file.  This stopped the hangups, and the instances of
notepad in the task manager were gone, but the error processing this
directive was still evident.  So, I copied his news.txt file into his htdocs
folder, and changed his include to be the same as mine.  Bingo!  Everything
worked just fine.
   From this, I presume that Apache was expecting another app to process
news.txt in the cgi-bin/newspro folder, hence, the instance of Notepad, and
the hangups.  Once this was closed, it appears that Apache was happy that
the request had been handled, and loaded the rest of the page.  Since the
news.txt wasn't parsed, there was the error.  From this can one gather that
Apache, like most other servers, expects contents of cgi folders to be
executable?
   Regardless, I thought I'd pass this along in case some other poor slob
running a Win32 platform encounters a similar problem, and would like to
express my appreciation of all those who have made the effort to enlighten
those of us less knowledgeable.  My next step will be in getting rid of the
Win32 platform, at least as far as server needs are concerned, it's just not
adequate for the task at hand, IMHO.

Belgarius
---

RE: SSI solution (1.3.23/Win32)

Posted by Belgarius <we...@dfxwebs.com>.
Yes, it appears you had two problems:

1. Trying to access a non-script from a ScriptAliased directory.

   I should have caught that right off the bat, the other server that I was
using is similar in that it expects only script files.  I've had to mention
to my users that even though a script setup may place image files in a
subfolder of the cgi, does *not* mean the server will interpret them.
Usually, it results in an empty image holder, but depending on the extension
of the incorrect file, may result in 500 errors.  What was throwing me on
such a curve was the fact that under that server, the SSI worked properly.

2. Using "ScriptInterpreterSource registry".

   I hadn't even thought about that entry, being honest.  That certainly
explains why Notepad was opening.  Due to the .txt extension being
associated with the application in the system registry.  Yet one more
"undocumented feature" in the Win32 platform (grin)

The former will never work.  The latter can cause weird effects like the
notepad popups.

   I doubt that I'll forget that lesson soon, and really should have known
better.  I will be putting Apache online here in lieu of my present server,
and keeping my fingers crossed.  At least Apache has the good sense to
actually parse the php.ini file, which I've been unable to make the other
server do, at least with it resident on another drive other than the one the
OS is installed to.
   If nothing else, I've gained a much broader insight into the workings of
the httpd.conf file, at least with respect to SSI and VirtualHost settings.
My appreciation for that insight.

Regards,

Belgarius

---

RE: SSI solution (1.3.23/Win32)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Belgarius [mailto:webmaster@dfxwebs.com]

>    From this, I presume that Apache was expecting another app to process
> news.txt in the cgi-bin/newspro folder, hence, the instance of
> Notepad, and
> the hangups.

Yes, it appears you had two problems:

1. Trying to access a non-script from a ScriptAliased directory.

2. Using "ScriptInterpreterSource registry".

The former will never work.  The latter can cause weird effects like the
notepad popups.

Joshua.